Projects / emelFM2 / Comments

Comments for emelFM2

19 Feb 2004 07:31 tooar

Re: starting to get bloated?
hello,

you might not be happy, but this is going to continue for a while. what looks like polishing to you are structural changes to e2's core in the process of porting it to gtk2. i'm just trying to show some of the new flexibility/possibilities. when time has come, old code and features will be removed and e2 will get smaller again.
this is a necessary sacrifice to keep it at least somewhat useable at this early stange (after all we're talking about version 0.0.x).

if you need a certain feature earlier, you're welcome to send me patches! :)

18 Feb 2004 08:28 kayaoguz

starting to get bloated?
hi,
emelfm is a great file manager, yet emelfm2 is great too. But emelfm got its strength from simplicity, whereas emelfm2 is getting new features everyday. this is not bad, but i'd rather like to see a "multi rename tool" like features instead of polishing, and adding buttons everywhere, most of which are unnecessary (yes, i know i can turn them off). i'm currently downloading every version, daily releases too, to see how it's doing, also thinking i may need the old versions in the future... anyway, this is all my thoughts of course, the FM is great, and the job is well done :) keep up the good work, and please keep in mind to keep it simple...
--kaya

25 Jan 2004 22:52 sweiss

Re: Encoding problem

> You are correct, this is a problem with
> my desktop environment. Sorry for behing
> hasty something is wrong with emelFM2, I
> really did not mean bad.
> Thanks a lot for your help and for this
> great porting once again.
> Cheers,
> Frost.

Well, it looks like in version 0.0.5 all encoding problems whatsoever were fixed, a job well done :)

Keep up the good work, damn good file manager.

Frost.

05 Jan 2004 04:41 tooar

Re: thanks !
hello,

> Just two things I'm still missing (maybe
> for the future ?) :
> - an icon for the application, so that I can have
> something nicer than a black X in my kde taskbar.

yes, that would be nice. if you take a close look at the README file (help section):
"your help is wanted! i'm currently looking for someone, who can make an emelFM2 icon."

so if only i had an icon, i'd add it instantly.

> - an option to show icons for the dir lists items (using
> shared-mime-info and the icons themes
> that seem to be coming soon would be an
> easy way to get ready-to-use icons..

icons for the file list will be possible in the future. though, this will probably take a while until i can replace the file list. (some major changes are necessary)

05 Jan 2004 01:40 denis_prost

thanks !
Hi,

I just discovered your project today. This is great
news ! EmelFM used to be my favorite file manager
and I was really sorry it looked freezed. Now it is back
again ! And with some really nice new features like
horizontal panes, colored text in the output window,
and improved toolbar configurability.

Just two things I'm still missing (maybe for the
future ?) :

- an icon for the application, so that I can have
something nicer than a black X in my kde taskbar.
- an option to show icons for the dir lists items (using
shared-mime-info and the icons themes that seem to
be coming soon would be an easy way to get
ready-to-use icons, but maybe it's a too big change in
emelfm filetypes managing ?)

Anyway, thanks a lot for the great work !

Cheers

Denis

03 Jan 2004 14:26 tooar

Re: fantastic!

> if you start emelfm2 for the first time
> (= no config file) it segfaults in
> filelist.c line#164: g_free(path)
> commenting this out works..

which os/distribution/version etc. are you using? it doesn't happen over here on debian/testing. after looking at the code, i believe i know what the problem is and it should already be fixed in the latest pre-release. you can get it at http://dasui.prima.de/~tooar/pre/. mail me if you have any more problems.

02 Jan 2004 18:35 abclex

fantastic!
great to see emelfm being updated and ported to gtk2! hope the development one doesn't get stalled.. ;)

guess i found one small bug:

if you start emelfm2 for the first time (= no config file) it segfaults in filelist.c line#164: g_free(path)

commenting this out works..

21 Dec 2003 21:43 dsyates

Great work!
This is my favorite file manager

18 Oct 2003 10:32 sweiss

Re: Encoding problem
You are correct, this is a problem with my desktop environment. Sorry for behing hasty something is wrong with emelFM2, I really did not mean bad.

Thanks a lot for your help and for this great porting once again.

Cheers,
Frost.

18 Oct 2003 08:32 tooar

Re: Encoding problem
why do you think it's a bug in emelfm2 if it only happens with your desktop environment?

besides, this is out of the README:

if you have filenames in your locale (ie with german umlauts), you HAVE to set
the environment variable G_BROKEN_FILENAMES=1 to to allow emelFM2 to handle
them correctly. (it will crash if you don't)
if you don't set G_BROKEN_FILENAMES=1 emelFM2 will use utf8 to store non-ascii
characters. this might have strange results for programs which can't handle
utf8. you also may want to set LC_ALL=en_US.UTF8 or something similar.