Projects / eggdrop / Comments

Comments for eggdrop

28 Nov 2001 02:50 jaua

Re: Caution - bugs remain
I tested your solution and everything went fine during "make"
It came up with the following error during "make install":

Renamed the old 'eggdrop' executable to 'oeggdrop'.
Copying new 'eggdrop' executable and creating symlink.
install: eggdrop does not exist
make: *** [install-bin] Error 1

When I execute oeggdrop
I had to copy all the *.so files from the eggdrop dir to a modules subdir where it was searching for them.

Once I've done that...
> ./oeggdrop

Eggdrop v1.6.6 (C)1997 Robey Pointer (C)2001 Eggheads
[23:37] --- Loading eggdrop v1.6.6 (Tue Nov 27 2001)
[23:37] Module loaded: dns
[23:37] Module loaded: channels
[23:37] Module loaded: server
[23:37] Module loaded: ctcp
[23:37] Module loaded: irc
[23:37] LANG: No lang files found for section notes.
[23:37] Module loaded: notes (with lang support)
[23:37] LANG: No lang files found for section console.
[23:37] Module loaded: console (with lang support)
[23:37] Module loaded: blowfish
[23:37] Listening at telnet port 3210 (all)
[23:37] Userinfo TCL v1.06 by ButchBub, Beldin, Kirk, guppy, Ernst, and Dude loaded for: URL BF GF IRL EMAIL DOB.
[23:37] use '.help userinfo' for commands.
[23:37] Creating channel file
[23:37] * USER FILE NOT FOUND! (try './eggdrop -m eggdrop.conf' to make one)

the modules load fine but it can't find the conf file even after i use -m to make a new one...

> ./oeggdrop -m eggdrop.conf

Eggdrop v1.6.6 (C)1997 Robey Pointer (C)2001 Eggheads
[23:39] --- Loading eggdrop v1.6.6 (Tue Nov 27 2001)
[23:39] * CONFIG FILE NOT LOADED (NOT FOUND, OR ERROR)

> % Will not compile in Solaris 7/8
> %
> % The blowfish module fails, with
> % relocation errors.
> Yes it will, but you need to modify
> the srcroot Makefile to have
> "SHLIB_LD = gcc -pipe
> -shared". For some reason configure
> neglects to set -shared although it is
> required.
> I haven't tested wether it will
> actually run though. :-)

21 Oct 2001 10:10 countzero666

Re: Caution - bugs remain

> Will not compile in Solaris 7/8
> The blowfish module fails, with
> relocation errors.

Yes it will, but you need to modify the srcroot Makefile to have "SHLIB_LD = gcc -pipe -shared". For some reason configure neglects to set -shared although it is required.
I haven't tested wether it will actually run though. :-)

31 Aug 2001 11:46 cheetham42

Re: eggdrop tcl scripts

> some eggdrop tcl scripts can be found
> http://www.xcalibre.com/tcl.htm
> ftp://ftp.irc.pl/pub/irc/bots/eggdrop3/scripts/
> - some of them are very useful and even
> should be installed on every bot.

I have a Tcl script on freshmeat - Eddie's Extensions (http://freshmeat.net/projects/eddie42) - still under developement. ;-)

07 Aug 2001 10:58 Bass

Re: eggdrop tcl scripts
There is a search engine for locating tcl scripts that are stored in any of the major eggdrop Tcl public archives. The search engine is at:

> some eggdrop tcl scripts can be found
> http://www.xcalibre.com/tcl.htm
> ftp://ftp.irc.pl/pub/irc/bots/eggdrop3/scripts/
> - some of them are very useful and even
> should be installed on every bot.

30 Jul 2001 21:29 l3ech

Re: gone downhill since 1.1.5
I think that 1.6.x is much better than the older versions, but somewhere after 1.4.4 a lot of problems with unicode came up which kinda ruined the whole 1.6.x series in some way...
But 1.6.x still rulez :)

24 Jul 2001 23:54 guppy

Re: gone downhill since 1.1.5
I was an eggdrop user _a lot_ longer then I have been a developer of it. And I am still a user more then a developer I think -- of course, I put my heart and soul into eggdrop and I know the problems with it currently (yes, it is bloated, yes, it uses alot of memory, cpu, etc ..) and I can't wait till those problems are fixed. I used 1.1.5 for a long time also .. upto 1.3.21 I believe .. but now being a developer, I know the problems with both versions ... and I know that eggdrop1.6.x is a more robust bot, but a better one. If all you guys stuck on 1.1.5 would work on newer versions, you would see newer is better and you could fix what you want fixed and start to help remove bloat :P~ We dont eat people ... we love people who help, we love people who criticize (I can't spell) us -- it makes us better.

24 Jul 2001 23:28 darealwiggum

Re: gone downhill since 1.1.5
guppy:
you wouldn't happen to be a tad biased on this issue would you, being an eggdrop developer and all?
heh

24 Jul 2001 22:31 guppy

Re: gone downhill since 1.1.5

> the last decent version of eggdrop was
> 1.1.5

Eggdrop1.6.x is a much improved version. People who are still using 1.1.5 are people who are stuck in the past.

14 Apr 2001 00:57 darealwiggum

gone downhill since 1.1.5
the last decent version of eggdrop was 1.1.5

they keep on adding bloat after bloat.

31 Jan 2001 21:23 vrlink

compiling on IRIX 6.3 with gcc-2.95.2
- required adding declarations for snprintf, vsnprintf insrc/modules.c as these functions came from an external package (they don't exist in my libc)

- created static version -- should I care, or should I try to make a dynamic version?

- other than these issues, it seems to work just fine.