Projects / Drupal / Comments

Comments for Drupal

22 Aug 2012 04:01 domperignon

Great modular CMS. You can build anything with it. Easily customizable and well documented.

23 Mar 2009 14:33 msimanga

This is a very very good CMS as evidenced by the awards it has recieved. It is so clever it will take you a while to understand. I only truly began to appreciate it after six months or so on and off use.

I am conducting a survey to determine how much code Drupal implementers actually need to write. The advent of modules such as CCK, Views, Organic Groups, Workflow, Ubercart, E-Commerce, Panels and Actions along with a dozen or so other modules has a empowered web developers with the ability to create sites writing little or no custom code. Is this true? If you are Drupal user please take the survey at http://www.mahalasoft.co.za

29 Nov 2007 02:27 Gear7

Drupal
I love Drupal's layout. Everyone I see says Drupal is hard to use, but I find it the easiest of all the mainstream CMS's to use. I can get things done much easier and faster in Drupal than I can in Joomla. I guess some minds just work differently.

28 Jan 2006 03:01 honewatson

I recommend you try Drupal
A real easy installation with cpanel fantastico hosting!

Plus heaps of ported themes coming over now including themes from wordpress.

A great all round CMS plus has decent scalability.

25 Oct 2005 03:57 sethcohn

Drupal's concept explained - why the CMS is unique
One thing I've found is that newbies often don't grasp the basic concept of Drupal's structure...

Almost everything is a node of information. Nodes tend to be individual blog posts, articles, images, reviews, what have you, based on the modules installed. Flexinodes allow creating new custom node types without coding, and coding a new module is fairly trivial, thanks to a well thought out and evolving API.

Addon modules allow customizing nodes, through either adding properties (location, product sales, voting, tags, excerpt, group membership, rsvp, event time/date, eg), or adjusting module content (content filtering, display properties, permissions, pdf output, eg)

Think of it like tinkertoys: the basic concept is just spokes and hubs, but the complexity is up to you, and the choices are wide ranging. The more options you put into practice with Drupal, the more it will pay off for you in terms of a complex website that scales well.

Unlike many CMSes, there is no glass separation between modules: if your event calendar suddenly needs to be able to sell tickets to the events, just turn on the e-commerce module, tell it those events are products and you're off and running. If a blog post turns into a chapter of a book (or part of a series), just add it to that book's content, just tagging it correctly, and it'll be indexed in the correct tree, gaining navigation links as well.

Layout is very very flexible, using blocks of content, and a variety of choices of templating engines. Many Drupal sites tend to use standard layouts, but that doesn't mean yours has to look the same at all. CSS is widely used and well documented with the ability to customize almost every bit of data displayed.

23 Oct 2005 01:41 robertDouglass

Drupal is a PHP CMS that supports MySQL and PostgreSQL
That didn't seem to be clear to some of the folks at the recent Barcamp-Amsterdam, so for the record, there it is.

11 Sep 2005 03:01 robertDouglass

Drupal is a fantastic too

People with low technical skills can use it to make very dynamic, community-oriented websites with multi-user blogging and forums. There are over 100 contributed modules meaning it can do *just about anything*. From a developer's point of view, it is wonderful to have so many of the common web application challenges abstracted into a reusable API that can be used either to extend Drupal, or as a library in other web applications.

Drupal handles:

-- Database managed authentication and sessions, meaning it is a great framework for distributed/mirrored/clustered webapps.

-- Page caching for high performance websites.

-- Database abstraction layer so that code is reusable with many RDBMSs and some common types of security holes (SQL injection) are eliminated at the framework level.

-- Fully accessible API via webservices (REST/XML-RPC).

-- HTML forms API

-- Hierarchical taxonomy API for managing categories, keywords and relations of all natures

-- Granular user/role permissions system

-- Permissions extensible to the micro-content level.

Best of all, the community rocks.

06 Sep 2005 02:12 kyanos

i am in love
with Drupal

That i like is Drupal has a api to make your modules for Drupal

21 Jul 2004 05:40 jfmoran3

Good easy tool
Easy to configure once you grasp the idea of taxonomy, i.e. language that you attach different items (forums, stories, pages, polls, images, etc.) to.

The setup couldn't be easier.

The code looks very clean (though I haven't delved real deep) and the online community seems very nice.

Ported a site from phpNuke over rather easily and feel that I finally have a very secure site that can do what I want it to do.

27 May 2004 10:12 jasmeetc

the best for hackers
I looked at lot of open source CMS software, and finally ended up using this for my blog site, because of two reasons--

a) Very flexible. I can expand my site from a simple blogging one to a more complex one with forums, wiki etc. at any time.

b) Beautifuly written and organized code, which makes it very easy to hack.

There are CMS softwares that provide (a), but for me the reason (b) is very useful, because I can hack things according to my liking very easily.