Projects / DBMAIL / Comments

Comments for DBMAIL

24 Nov 2009 13:05 scoop

Paul,

if you have any interest in taking over maintenance of this freshmeat record, feel free to click the "Request ownership" link in the box in the right column. It'd be a pleasure to assign ownership directly to you.

Thanks,
Patrick

24 Nov 2009 12:46 pjstevns

For those of you seeing this page and start wondering...

DBMail is very much alive and doing well, thank you. The person who created the freshmeat entry is *not* the author. Any posts about 'author not answering' are bollocks, since I (being the main author for quite some time already) do very much answer all queries about DBMail.

Please go to www.dbmail.org for more information.

Paul.

20 Mar 2007 02:52 lelik76

Still a beta, this is not a stable product
Please keep in mind this program is very unstable and code quality is very low. It is impossible to install (a debian package) or run it. For example, debian installer fails to create user/group, and then choown fails during install. Log directories are created with invalid permissions. Once I rebuilt the package and installed it, it kept crashing (seg fault). If you look in a source, they have following fragment at start of each daemon:

serverConfig_t config;

int result;

g_mime_init(0);

openlog(PNAME, LOG_PID, LOG_MAIL);

result = serverparent_getopt(&config, "IMAP", argc, argv);

the serverparent_getopt calls a function ClearConfig(config) , with following body:

void ClearConfig(serverConfig_t * config)

{

g_free(config->listenSockets);

g_strfreev(config->iplist);

memset(config, 0, sizeof(serverConfig_t));

}

well, as you may see "serverConfig_t config" variable is an uninitialized stack variable, no wonder this thing crashes.

I stopped looking after that. The product is too immature for any use, despite "production/stable" claim. Avoid any serious use for now.

28 Apr 2004 12:56 cumshot

Re: Need your help!!
Agreed... join the damn mailing list (or even google for discussions). It is alive and well, Sieve support is being integrated, Aaron has written an LMTP daemon for lightning fast transfers, Exchange compatibility is slowly being added...

Basically, if you're not an experienced mail administrator, DBmail + Postfix may not be what you want. It is for large sites with many virtual users (I have a few hundred, with many aliases and a mail-to-forums gateway along with various automated hooks and Amavisd/Mailguard/Spsmassassin dual-MTA setup) and many domains, who are comfortable with keeping their database tuned and backed up, and want a central point of administration for email.

And for that purpose, it beats the piss out of all competitors by a country mile. If you're looking for something like 'Exchange without the bugs' or 'a database storage backend for Postfix/Cyrus/Qmail' then DBmail is what you want. 4 release candidates for 2.0 in 1 month, and you think it's a dead project? Sitss with half a terabyte of mail figuring out how to mirror their backend, and you think there are more stable, featureful competitors?

I beg to differ with that assessment. DBmail is worth the trouble of a Google search and reading the docs, thanks much. It is alive and well.

21 Feb 2004 08:23 SodaBrew

Re: Need your help!!

> Its sad, but I think this projet is dead.
> No more answers from the author.

Alive and well and you're welcome to join the mailing list. As with most "the author doesn't respond, it must be dead" posts, the author is too busy working on the project to respond to "are you dead yet?" emails that just waste his time.

18 Feb 2004 21:50 gil555

Re: Need your help!!
Its sad, but I think this projet is dead.
No more answers from the author.
The documentation included is less than poor.
The online documentation is fading on dead sites.
The product is good but lacks just a few corrections. Its a shame.
I Have spended SEVERAL days trying to make dbmail work in a apropriate way. I am half way of getting it done. But I cant find any more help. I am just about of kiking it away.

05 Dec 2001 16:17 tthomas48

Those having trouble with dbmail
I've been using this since v.03 with no problems. The one big place to look is /etc/postfix/master.cf. Make sure you have a line like:
dbmail unix - n n - - pipe
flags= user=dbmail:dbmail argv=/usr/local/bin/dbmail-smtp -d ${reci
pient}

also make sure that your dbmail-smtp executable is where you've pointed the config file. I can't testify to the IMAP client, and I think it's still under development in any case.

16 Nov 2001 03:10 BillKwong

Need your help!
I'm trying to bulid a mail system with postfix & dbmail,the mail from client now can write to mysql.but the client cann't recieve mail, if I use IMAP's pops damon to provide POP3 service,it will tell me no mail,if use the dbmail-pop3d,the client application will tell me cann't connect to server,who can help me?THX

12 Nov 2001 03:46 BillKwong

Need your help!!
Hello,all!
I am a student from China,I try to bulid a Email system with DBmail.I finished install postfix and MySQL and I can use Outlook or other Application to send & receive Email.So I
try to install DBmail,after compiled, I do everything by the "NSTALL" in DBmail's file.but
I found that my mail still write to /var/mail,in my thinking,it will write to the database
"dbmail" in Mysql,why? I need your help.
My system configuration:
RedHat Linux 7.1
Postfix-20010202-4
MySQL 3.23.36-1
dbmail-1.0rc2.tgz

12 Nov 2001 03:37 BillKwong

Why my dbmail cann't work
I finished installation without any problem,but the mail system still store mail to /var/mail not MySQL,why,I need your Help.