Projects / Courier / Comments

Comments for Courier

12 Oct 2007 16:39 cronman

Re: Courier Problems

> I would not recommend this software for

> anyone. It does

> have a steep learning curve and the

> support from the author

> is not very good. Frequently updates to

> the software break

> existing installations resulting in

> hours of work to fix the

> problem, and the author typically can

> not help. This software

> has some plusses, but the lack of good

> support and frequent

> problems with upgrades more than cancel

> those positive

> aspects.

Greetings from 2007. Things today appear to be very different from your account of how things were in 2004.

12 Oct 2007 16:36 cronman

Highly Recommended
This is one of the best opensource packages I've had the pleasure of working with, and working with it has been a pleasure.

Everything you need to run an email system is integrated into one project, no need to mix and match, and the quality of the standard adhesion is second to none as is the quality of the code.

Bugs, which are few and far between are patched within hours.

Take a look at the project homepage and look at the extensive documentation and man pages. There is simply nothing about this project that is not documented. There is a lot of reading to be done, but you will find everything you need in the documentation.

The setup is flexible enough to accomodate any situation.

I've recently migrated from a cyrus setup, and am very very happy with this new setup. My logs are a lot cleaner and its possible to trace things on the system.

If you're running your own mailserver, take the time to get up to speed on this one, it'll make life so much easier for you.

24 Oct 2004 10:15 dmadance

Courier Problems
I would not recommend this software for anyone. It does

have a steep learning curve and the support from the author

is not very good. Frequently updates to the software break

existing installations resulting in hours of work to fix the

problem, and the author typically can not help. This software

has some plusses, but the lack of good support and frequent

problems with upgrades more than cancel those positive

aspects.

07 Jul 2003 21:06 mrsam

Re: Migration

> I had a server configured under Windows,
> running MDaemon. The thing is that this
> email server has a feature called
> DomainPOP, that downloads email from a
> POP account and then puts each email in
> the right mailbox.
> I use this because I'm not 24/7 online,
> so I have this ISP that gets all the
> mail for my domain and I download it
> later.
> I don't know if I made myself clear, but
> the question is, as I'm migrating the
> server to Linux, if Courier has a
> feature like the one I described, and if
> it doesn't, is there anyway to do this?
> Thanks

This can be done using fetchmail. There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

19 Jun 2003 09:44 JuanXarg

Migration
I had a server configured under Windows, running MDaemon. The thing is that this email server has a feature called DomainPOP, that downloads email from a POP account and then puts each email in the right mailbox.
I use this because I'm not 24/7 online, so I have this ISP that gets all the mail for my domain and I download it later.
I don't know if I made myself clear, but the question is, as I'm migrating the server to Linux, if Courier has a feature like the one I described, and if it doesn't, is there anyway to do this?
Thanks

15 Jul 2002 16:23 dhiggins

Courier-MTA
courier is an extremely well built mail server that follows the RFCs to the letter (a bit too much to one's liking sometimes :)

save for it's (extremely) steep learning curve, it's an awesome package

29 Apr 2002 07:02 Ygor

Support for MacOS X
I am trying to set up a Mail Server for my Mac User
Group. I read many great comments about Postfix-
MySQL-Courier setups using the virtual features so that
e-mail users do not have a true account on the server.
This is the setup I want.

HOWEVER, I suppose the particulars of MacOS have not
yet been addressed.

I would be more than willing to help on the Mac side if I
can get an assist from the Folks Who Know What Is
Going On.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

02 Jan 2002 18:19 fredlwm

Re: Courier Rocks
You can download it from here (http://ftp1.sourceforge.net/courier/).

02 Jan 2002 01:39 freshmeatcc

Re: Courier Rocks
I'll second that; the maradns site does not appear to have a /courier directory.

Spam is a truly annoying problem, and its purveyors should be forced to listen to an entire Slim Whitman album for each outgoing missive they send, but I don't know that locking out legitimate users who happen to be using a spammer-indifferent ISP is the answer. It can take an hour to get their tech support on a phone call; why would they listen to our pleas to curb spammers? Unfortunately, they are often the best in all other ways, or are the only game in town (my case, at least for broadband).

It is of course the author's MTA and web site, and he can do what he likes with it, but I think I speak for most folks when I say that I will try a different MTA before I switch ISPs.

cc

04 Dec 2001 01:49 coxjason

Re: Courier Rocks
% In the meantime, I have mirrored some
> of courier's software at
> http://www.maradns.org/courier

I am unfortunate enough to have invested several class C's of my network with UUNET (we pull IP space from them and route it with our AS). We are lumped in with the spambag block. Until ARIN will release space to us under our AS, I need a work-around to get to the courier-mta web site. Your link is down so I wonder if anyone else could mirror the courier-mta website/downloads for us poor unfortunate souls.