Projects / cdrtools / Comments

Comments for cdrtools

19 Jul 2006 13:34 aleoje

Virus?
ScanMail is detecting a virus in 2.01.

Is this possible?

"ScanMail detected and removed a virus from the original mail entity. You can safely save or delete this replacement attachment."

27 May 2006 03:39 scdbackup

Re: Never use this software directly but get a patched version from a major distribution
Although it can be a bit cumbersome with SuS9.0 include files i prefer to compile cdrecord binaries from Joerg's original sources. This is especially rewarding now since the recent development version 2.01.01a09 includes unlimited DVD support and there is no need any more to maintain a cdrecord-ProDVD binary with temporary license keys.

As for dvd+rw-tools (aka growisofs): i still prefer this over cdrecord for DVD because it can pipe a data stream of unpredicted length.
The main advantage of cdrecord with DVD is its unified command interface for CD and DVD. You might be able to talk some stone-old CD frontend into burning DVD that way.

Thank heaven for cdrecord and mkisofs !

01 May 2006 20:41 karmaflux

> another 40% of the problems on Linux based

> systems are a result of bugs in the

> Linux Kernel.

Those aren't "bugs," Jorg; they're deliberate design decisions which you refuse to accept. Linux is not UNIX. Get used to it, please. Your tools are better, but I'm forced to use a different software package because you decided not to support the device interface on Linux.

29 Mar 2006 10:05 hairdude

Seems great to me
Well, I don't know about much, but this seems like a great, free tool to me. Just wanted to say thanks.

12 Feb 2006 15:37 pr1268

Re: Liteon DVD burner not working

> I started examining the source code to

> cdrtools (version 2.01) and noticed that

> cdrecord has some due to a bug

> (intentional or not) in Lite-on's

> firmware, dating back to 1998 or so.

> The changelog mentions something to this

> effect.

The above should say:

I started examining the source code to cdrtools (version 2.01) and noticed that cdrecord has some FIXES to accommodate a bug (intentional or not) in Lite-on's firmware....

Many apologies!

12 Feb 2006 15:33 pr1268

Liteon DVD burner not working
I purchased a Lite-On SHW-1635S Dual-layer DVD burner last month with a gift card I received for Christmas.

This burner claims write speeds of

48X CD-R

24X CD-RW

8X DVD-RW

8X DVD+RW

4X DVD+R DL

16X DVD+R

Yet, I was only able to get

16X CD-R (with 52X capable blank CD-R)

6X DVD+R (with 16X capable blank DVD+R)

error attempting to burn DVD+R DL (2.4X capable)

I started examining the source code to cdrtools (version 2.01) and noticed that cdrecord has some due to a bug (intentional or not) in Lite-on's firmware, dating back to 1998 or so. The changelog mentions something to this effect.

It's a moot point trying to get this fixed, since I took the drive back and exchanged it for a different brand/model (which works fine).

I use Linux, compile cdrtools from source, and used K3b (also compiled from source). Any others' ideas? Thanks

09 Feb 2006 00:34 schily

About 50% of all prolems with cdrtools on
RedHat, SuSE or Debian are a _result_ of the
patches applied by these distributions and
another 40% of the problems on Linux based
systems are a result of bugs in the Linux
Kernel.

I recommend to use the original and unmodified
software and to use Operating systems that do
not boycot CD/DVD writing.

09 Feb 2006 00:26 schily

Re: DVD/DVD+RW?
Cdrecord supports DVD-R since February 1998
and DVD+R since April 2003.

09 Feb 2006 00:24 schily

I hope that Freshmeat is removing your silly comments that publish lies on me and cdrtools and
that advertizes for a product with unclear license.

06 Feb 2006 04:13 robertojimenoca

Never use Jörg Schilling's cdrtools directly since this guy is being paid by Sun and that means that other operating systems like Linux are not taken into account. You have to use the patched cdrtools versions from a major Linux distribution like RedHat, SUSE or Debian since that cdrtools incorporate a set of patches that make it useful and stable.

For DVD+-RW recording use dvd+rw-tools