Projects / cdr / Comments

Comments for cdr

30 Dec 2002 12:56 spiritlover

Comments
You seriously need a helpfile, guys, it took me probably 15 minutes and turning off the CDDB to figure out what precisely I was supposed to put in that editor-window that pops up when you start.
As far as I can tell, CDDB doesn't work, I have the correct address and port, the same ones that work fine in my mp3-renamer software, but when cdr goes to "gather information" it gets stuck and doesn't come back. So I just type them in by hand, or just put in the name of the Album and Artist and change it using Cantus (the mp3-renamer) later, which is fine with me.
It's rather nice the way it just puts them in the directory by artist and album, that way I can just go back and rename them later. But if I could get CDDB to work with this, I'd rather name them artist-album-track#-song.mp3 right away, maybe if anyone ever works on this again they could offer a custom-formatting option for the file-name.

30 Dec 2002 12:42 spiritlover

Comments
It's rather nice the way it just puts them in the directory by artist and album, that way I can just go back and rename them later. But if I could get CDDB to work with this, I'd rather name them artist-album-track#-song.mp3, maybe if anyone ever works on this again they could offer a custom-formatting option for the file-name.

30 Dec 2002 11:39 spiritlover

Installer problem
I haven't gotten it installed yet, but I wanted to report a rather large issue: It couldn't recognize that I was indeed ROOT, and kept telling me I couldn't install unless I was root.
So I commented out that part of the installer script and am installing as we speak.
Oh, it's done already, I just hit enter to accept the defaults.
Hopefully it works well! :)

13 Jun 2002 11:02 lucasgonze

good despite rawness
First complaints:
* defaults are still not so sensible.
* for one cd I ripped there were a lot of problems. Don't know yet if this was LAME or CDR...
* a lot of chrome still to go.

Second good stuff:
* the code is easy to patch. I found and fixed a dumb default in < 5 minutes.
* the look and feel is sweet.
* modularity of design (e.g. using Pico to edit playlists) makes CDR fit nicely into a unixy working mode.

Overall I like it and have no plans to find another ripper.

15 Dec 2001 16:22 jch5689

Re: Comments on cdr

I'm glad you gave it a shot - and this is good feedback.

The newer version has sensible defaults for all of the value (or at least, I tried to put sensible defaults in there).

I like the idea of a linear configuration path - I'll see if I can put that in there, though the limitations of dialog may prevent me (I'm not sure I can do a dialog with more than 2 options)

At any rate, I've also significantly streamlined what is in there so it only installs 2 things now. That's a pretty limited amount of duplication, but I'll see if I can make those two packages optional even.

Thanks for the feedback!
-Mike

14 Aug 2000 15:59 skiy

Comments on cdr
Right, Let me start by saying that this is NOT intended as a flame.

Like the installer :-)

I personally gave up with the program after 5 minutes, but that's not to say it isn't any use to newbies out there.
Setting it up with the main perl script is, quite frankly, a pain in the neck, after entering leaving a sub menu, you are left back at the top of the parent menu, A linear setup menu, even in text mode would probably be better.

also, may I suggest that it at least have some sensible DEFAULT VALUES (e.g. Most people have a /dev/cdrom link etc.), to improve on having to set EVERYTHING up with the cludgy menu.

As your program is a front end, suggest using cda for cddb lookup as people will already have that set up, and I didn't have a lot of success using the built in cddb (or now Gracenote !?) lookup feature.

perhaps a choice of which of the programs (cdda2wav, cdparanoia, bladeenc etc.) you want installed, as most people have these already installed.

I think that's it for now.
Don't get me wrong, this has potential :-)
skiy.

22 Feb 2000 04:04 jch5689

Request for Comments
Hey!

So I just started working on cdr, and I've got some ideas for it. However, I have no idea what people who use cdr want (or hate/don't want)

So send me some mail (mike@mikehardy.net) or tack a comment on here.

What do you think of cdr? What do you want out of it? If you hate it, why?