Projects / AutoUpdate / Comments

Comments for AutoUpdate

07 Aug 2005 01:34 gtesiacat

Re: Creating autoprovides.db takes a long time.

> Is it normal senario? Or is there any

> solution to shorten this time?

Did you install the perl rpm bindings (perl-RPM2),

this should seed up things significantly. There are

also autoprovides.db files for some distribution on

the installation page.

04 Aug 2005 02:30 luzhenyu1982

Creating autoprovides.db takes a long time.
Thanks for your good software that saved my admin time upon large amounts of RedHat machines.

And, I've noticed that for the first time running autoupd to install some RPMs, it tries to create a new autoprovides.db file, which may take upto 20 minutes on an RedHat machine.

Is it normal senario? Or is there any solution to shorten this time?

Thank you!

19 Dec 2003 13:54 incze

Re: very recommended

> I can be short. This tool is SO easy and
> so effective. I thank you oh great
> author :-) Both us (admins) are happy
> with it and also the users (they don't
> even know there systems getting
> updated).
> I hope you will proceed with adding nice
> feature etc etc

Let me join, became dependent on this tool.

17 Sep 2003 08:26 gtesiacat

Re: Also consider apt-rpm
What you are saying is only partially true: autoupdate works very well without a reposiory. (BTW, you
can set up an autoupdate repository if you want.)

Moreover, I have unlimited download from my ISP
ftp server, which has a redhat mirror but no
apt/yum repository for redhat.

I just can point autoupdate to webpages of projects I am
interested in which are not part of, e.g., fedora. E.g., there is no apt repository with the latest TeXmacs.

KDE 3.1.4 was just released. Where is an apt/yum repository which has it? With autoupdate, one command is all you need:

autodld --url ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.1.4/RedHat/9//

11 Sep 2003 08:27 sn

Re: Also consider apt-rpm

> But somebody has to set up the
> *repository* for you.

Yes, because a repository is a necessity. Without the metadata, you'd have to download every single version of every single RPM to find out the dependencies (they can change between versions, you know..). With a repository, you just download the dependencies as part of the metadata without having to download the entire RPM. Makes more sense. Setting up a repository from a directory full of RPMs isn't hard. You can do it yourself or just use one of the several ones available already (fedora.us (http://fedora.us/), freshrpms, ...)

31 Jul 2003 08:28 gkrist

Re: very recommended
I can be short. This tool is SO easy and so effective. I thank you oh great author :-) Both us (admins) are happy with it and also the users (they don't even know there systems getting updated).

I hope you will proceed with adding nice feature etc etc

04 May 2003 12:19 gtesiacat

Re: Also consider apt-rpm
But somebody has to set up the *repository* for you.
And you can only use apt for the software which is
in the repository. For example, kile is not part of
redhat and it is not part of freshrpms. So how do you
keep your kile version current with apt?

04 May 2003 02:09 TodoInTX

Re: Also consider apt-rpm
When I installed Apt-rpm recently it included a config for using http://apt.freshrpms.net for the apt-repository

I believe that the same is true about being able to use any ftp/http server as an apt repository. You just need to put the repository url in the /etc/apt/sources.list

But then again I could be wrong.

> As far as I know, before you can use apt-rpm
> somebody has to set up a server.
> This is not necessary for
> autoupdate.

23 Jan 2003 11:54 99jcmd

Cool
I check a lot of programs to update RH systems, i locking simply and easy to use and autoupdate its the tools, Thanks!
Best Regards

03 Jan 2003 01:24 gtesiacat

Re: Nice program..
I am not sure I understand what you want: It does support
file, ftp, http, https, and sftp.

Gerald