Projects / AutoNap / Comments

Comments for AutoNap

17 Apr 2002 17:24 ProfFalcon

Re: Source code for peer to peer

> How are you guys, I need to have some
> valid information, I've been from site
> to site, and I never really got what I'm
> looking for. The thing that I'm looking
> for is to be honest a "copy" of napster
> or kazaa. I need it, because I wanna

How about giFT at gift.sourceforge.net for a FastTrack client/server implementation?

17 Apr 2002 16:14 boytoy

Source code for peer to peer
How are you guys, I need to have some valid information, I've been from site to site, and I never really got what I'm looking for. The thing that I'm looking for is to be honest a "copy" of napster or kazaa. I need it, because I wanna make my own version of it. Not for the big scale that there on. It's for my friends and I, That they use the certain browser and they can share from each other or from me.

24 Aug 2001 23:18 ubrdude42

so what about all these other p2p apps?
i can't even keep track of them all.... everytime i turn around it's gnutella, morpheus, win mx.. whatever the latest p2p someone wrote.... and a million opinions from total crap to ecstacy (most from the first install/download)... scattered on boards everywhere; i can't click without hitting a board these days........wow..... it's time for some good middleware......

I can't wait. :)

17 Aug 2001 00:26 zozo2001

oops .. no more napster for linux users
I have downloaded many napster programs such as this one .. and lately I have noticed that none of them are working because of the upgrade (for windows and mac only) at www.napster.com .. I am just wandering what is going to happen with all the linux clients for napster??

27 Mar 2001 16:57 ParkerPine

Re: Can you read correctly?
Sure, it is shawn.fanning@hotmail.com after you changed it. Funnily enough, your profile was private for a short period.
Actually, you should consider a different faked name here since every child knows that Shawn Fanning is the guy who founded Napster. See http://www.napster.com/company for that if you wont believe it.
Sure, it is a coincidence that you bear the same name...though you were right with one thing, namely that you are not affiliated with Napster, even though your sole action here on freshmeat was commenting AutoNap.

> Dear Ludwig,
> dear Tassilo,
> I have absolutely no idea why you are
> trying to give the impression that I am
> affiliated in some way to Napster.com.
> Of course this is not true. As you can
> easily verify from my personal personal
> page my email address is
> Shawn.Fanning@hotmail.com.
> My reason for criticising AutoNap is
> not so much the program itself, rather
> then the maintaining policy of the
> author.
> From my point of view of view it is
> simply unprofessional to keep a program
> on Freshmeat's main page by announcing
> releases in short intervalls. And
> obviously this is what the author
> intended.
> Yours Shawn Fanning

27 Mar 2001 16:08 ShawnFanning

Can you read correctly?
Dear Ludwig,

dear Tassilo,

I have absolutely no idea why you are trying to give the impression that I am affiliated in some way to Napster.com. Of course this is not true. As you can easily verify from my personal personal page my email address is Shawn.Fanning@hotmail.com.

My reason for criticising AutoNap is not so much the program itself, rather then the maintaining policy of the author.

From my point of view of view it is simply unprofessional to keep a program on Freshmeat's main page by announcing releases in short intervalls. And obviously this is what the author intended.

Yours Shawn Fanning

27 Mar 2001 14:30 ParkerPine

Re: Do not use this crap!
Well, well, well...

> This project is completely
> unprofessionally maintained. The author
> announce new releases almost every day
> although there are no essential
> functions added!

If there had been essentials function added, I would have probably announced each new release as a major feature enhancement. The reason for so many releases had been, admittedly, the fact, that the whole project was announced a little bit too prematurely. Making once such a mistake really brings you in trouble because you have to be quick with bugfixes...if not, calling it crap may be a justified matter.

And if you are missing essential functions: add them yourself, that's why I gave the CVS-tree for this project.

> The documentation is awful and the

> install script put AutoNap's own modules

> into the perl default directories!

Take it or leave it, you weren't the first one to see this...whereas you had been the first one to post this sort of bugreport in here.

Anyways, it is fixed now and AutoNap will install its modules, by default, to /usr/local/lib/AutoNap.

> There are so many other goods linux

> clients out there so use them instead

> and save you a lot of troubles!

No, I will keep using my own.

Regards,

Tassilo

PS: What stroke you as awful about the documentation?

And what was that about this email-address of yours?

27 Mar 2001 12:17 Waldste1n

Re: Do not use this crap!
Hmmh, that's interesting:
Shawn@napster.com <= That is your email-address?

Is there a new directive out at Napster to spread bad opinions on anything that is not generically Napster?

That's in fact the reason why there may be some people who are interested in AutoNap: Because it is not bound to official Napster servers.

And in fact, considering the features one really needs for napstering, AutoNap beats some other clients...needless to say that it is preferable over the official client as you always know what it is doing in the background.

> This project is completely
> unprofessionally maintained. The author
> announce new releases almost every day
> although there are no essential
> functions added!
> The documentation is awful and the

It is not necessarily awful just because you weren't capable of understanding it. If you ask me, it is almost overdocumented...AutoNap is self-explaining so the docs are just one additional goody.

[snip...]

27 Mar 2001 11:49 dalglish

As for AutoNap...
...actually I can't quite agree with the previous poster. It may be right that there had been a few too many releases (though, did you reckognize the significant difference between the first release and the current one?). For me, AutoNap is doing a good and reliable job...it is not yet as featured as some other napster clients, but the autoselecting of servers is neat. That's why I am using it.

But agreed on the installation procedure: AutoNap's modules shouldn't reside in the current location. I sent a mail about that to the author and he said that this will be changed.

By the way: What's wrong with the documentation? A dummy would be able to understand it.

27 Mar 2001 10:55 ShawnFanning

Do not use this crap!
This project is completely unprofessionally maintained. The author announce new releases almost every day although there are no essential functions added!

The documentation is awful and the install script put AutoNap's own modules into the perl default directories!

There are so many other goods linux clients out there so use them instead and save you a lot of troubles!