Projects / ApacheTop / Comments

Comments for ApacheTop

15 May 2009 17:05 void64

I've been looking for something like apachetop, it's great! One problem I've encountered though: when I try to start it with more than one logfile (using the -f option twice) it will popup, and then immediately exit again. Starting any of the individual logfiles by themselves works fine though. I'm using it on Linux Ubuntu, not sure what version came in the package (how can I check the version?). Let me know if you have any suggestions - thanks.

18 Sep 2006 05:29 mcclimont

Patch to allow writing statistics to a file.
This utility i found perfect for providing statistics that could be parsed and then imported in to Cacti for graphing.

The only problem i was the on-screen output i couldn't find an easy and clean way to capture the statistics ready for parsing.

So i've created a patch that allows the parameter: -o [filename] , which allows the clean output of the statistics to a file of your choice.

The rest of the functionality is un-changed.

The patch can be found here:

Enjoy!

06 Oct 2003 02:33 gvy

Re: name clash
*Much* better now :)

BTW, if the LICENSE states it's BSD, then you shouldn't keep COPYING to avoid possible confusion.

Thanks :-)

03 Oct 2003 16:14 celsworth

Re: Tailing multiple files

> It would be nice to tail all the files
> at the same time for reporting.

Sure, I've added it onto the TODO list so I don't forget about it.

03 Oct 2003 16:13 celsworth

Re: name clash

> Thanks for the thingie, albeit somewhat
> CPU-hungry with default settings and not
> too busy webserver it's very useful at
> times.

Okay, now I see what you mean about CPU hungry. 0.6 fixes this bug where apachetop sucked up all the CPU time it could. Linux exhibits slightly strange select() behaviour that FreeBSD doesn't, so that slipped by me. Try the pre-release archive of 0.6 and see if it's any better for you.

03 Oct 2003 00:50 kaspaas

Tailing multiple files
Hi,

I'm keeping a seperate log file for each of my virtual domains.

It would be nice to tail all the files at the same time for reporting.

Thanks

Nico

30 Sep 2003 06:12 celsworth

Re: name clash

> Thanks for the thingie, albeit somewhat
> CPU-hungry with default settings and not
> too busy webserver it's very useful at
> times.

I was actually trying really hard to keep the CPU usage down. Pretty much all the CPU time is spent sorting the table that gets displayed in the lower portion of the window; I can remove a lot of that load by simply refreshing less, so I think I'll change the default refresh to 5 or even 10 seconds, and a commandline switch to specify it will be added pretty shortly.
Anyway, best take this to mail if you had any further comments, we're spamming freshmeat :)

30 Sep 2003 05:49 gvy

Re: name clash

> The only place atop was actually referenced was in the tarball

Ah yes, mea maxima culpa :)

Thanks for the thingie, albeit somewhat CPU-hungry with default settings and not too busy webserver it's very useful at times.

29 Sep 2003 12:04 celsworth

Re: name clash

> could you please change the
> command/tarball name not to interfere
> with http://freshmeat.net/projects/atop/

Sure - done. The only place atop was actually referenced was in the tarball name itself, the command and everything else is apachetop, so it makes sense anyway I suppose :)

29 Sep 2003 11:26 gvy

name clash
could you please change the command/tarball name not to interfere with http://freshmeat.net/projects/atop/ ?

seem like to build both packages (and need both commands) :-)