Projects / Ampache / Comments

Comments for Ampache

27 Nov 2008 01:50 donquixote2u

ampache on debian
I have been a happy ampache user for a while - tried several php-based playlist managers, and nothing came even clsoe to ampache for useability.

I've just loaded it again into my latest server (debian lenny instead of ubuntu hardy - debian seems quite a lot faster and I'm sick of ubuntu upgrades breaking things) and only had one problem

- the web install asked to put the config file in /config, and I finally found out after a bit of googling that it actually meant /etc/ampache (which seems perfectly reasonable, so why didnt it just say so??)

thats the only problem I had.

15 May 2007 23:35 cjsmo

Re: Bad software

> Bad software. Wasted one hour trying to

> get it

> installed on Mandrake Linux and Apache

> 2.0 (relatively

> little time, only because I'm a web /

> linux developer and

> know what I'm doing), and after all that

> pain, I could

> never login. The installation

> instructions are extremely

> terse, require you to alter your Apache

> configuration

> significantly, the configuration

> requires settings like 30

> parameters and editing two files, the

> software by

> default installs in odd paths

> (/data/ampache ?). In

> short, you have to know all sorts of

> stuff to install this,

> and it very probably still won't work

> after all that effort.

> If you want a web jukebox, I suggest you

> look

> elsewhere. If you're trying to

> contribute to a Web

> jukebox project, contribute to some

> other project

> instead of this. In sum, look for a

> package with easier

> installation requirements, and sane

> paths and defaults.

Well I'm not a web/linux developer. Everything I have learned about linux I learned by reading numerous article on the web. I have no formal computer training and I managed to get ampache to work on Windows XP Home Edition, Ubuntu Lamp Server, and Debian. If you go to Ampache's wiki page there are detailed instruction on how to install Ampache on several linux distributions along with instructions on how to set it up on Windows. Did you go to the Ampache Forum and ask any questions. So don't say it's bad software just because YOU the the almighty web/linux developer can't get it to work. So tell me what linux apps are you developing so I can stay away from them!!

07 Dec 2006 13:12 festers

Great software
By far the best music database/mp3 streaming software I've used so far. Installation took 15 mins, it was incredibly easy thanks to a very streamlined web-installer. Too many fantastic features to mention here. The only drawback is that it's highly id3tag-dependent. If your tags are a mess, it's going to be hard to organize your music. I used it as a chance to finally get around to retagging everything properly. :)

Highly recommended.

02 Sep 2004 19:29 vollmerk

Re: Cataloging problem
Our Forums are a great place to find help. I'm not sure if it applies to your problem but check out

The problem mentioned in that forum post is fixed as of Ampache 3.2.2

> Can someone give me a quick explanation

> on what you do when you cant get any

> catalogs working/added? I put a

> directory of MP3s in my "docs"

> directory and tried to add with

> "./newdir" as the catalog

> location and it wont work. Ive tried

> other things too.

> thanks. :-)

27 Aug 2004 08:10 mozkill

Cataloging problem
Can someone give me a quick explanation on what you do when you cant get any catalogs working/added? I put a directory of MP3s in my "docs" directory and tried to add with "./newdir" as the catalog location and it wont work. Ive tried other things too.

thanks. :-)

12 Aug 2004 13:47 stagnant

NOT Bad Software
I am completely happy with this contribution! I set it up on my Apache 1.3 server in under 30 minutes. It was very straightforward and works better than I had hoped. It is embarrassing when someone says they are a professional and good with setting up apache yet cannot get ampache to work...

05 Dec 2003 17:19 ruddo

Re: Bad software

> That is unrealistic, take a look at
> phpmyadmin, options must be modified for
> it to work.

No. By providing a pre-configured RPM package, and
attempting that it can be installed on several
distributions (using apache conf.d directives for
example, and allowing relocations, which shouldn't even
be needed, and post-install / post-uninstall scripts), I've
seen it work.

There's the infrastructure, but few are willing to go the
extra mile. Those who actually do it, are rewarded in
terms of popularity and perhaps even contracts.

05 Dec 2003 13:49 KamiQuasi

Great Software!
As an alpha release bit of software I am delightfully impressed by the potential that Ampache has. The simplistic, yet functional, UI is easy to comprehend and to navigate quickly. Sure, there are things that could be improved upon, but those will come with time and more contribution.
I'm looking forward to future versions. Keep up the good work everyone.

05 Dec 2003 13:40 rubin

Excellent MP3 Database!
I've been using ampache on and off since version 3.0, and I have to say its really coming along.

With id3v2 support, shared playlists, and multiple user accounts, your whole family can enjoy your music from any browser in your home.
Ampache install is easy and there are very few bugs for alpha software. The team is friendly has welcomed several patches from me. This is definately the way to go for a home or work mp3 database.

05 Dec 2003 11:37 vollmerk

Re: Bad software

> There *has* to be a technical solution
> that doesn't
> require this AddType directive. This
> configuration
> change practically demands a virtual
> host from the
> administrator.

There may be, It is our eventual goal to not have to add anything to the apache conf. It would be wonderful if you could come up with a solution.

> For a bare install, there should be
> *zero* options to
> modify, provided all the required
> software is installed.

That is unrealistic, take a look at phpmyadmin, options must be modified for it to work.