Projects / afio / Comments

Comments for afio

04 Nov 2009 17:41 jrota

Recently our tob/afio backup system stopped working, even though it is listed in our crontab for root.

I can run tob manually, but it fails when using crontab...

The error message says: /usr/local/sbin/tob: line 1: afio: command not found
Fatal tob error: backup command failed.

Any suggestions?

23 Dec 2008 12:30 kholtman

Re: Licensing
Good link. What seems to be happening is that the short legal text in original 1985 license is not considered good/clear enough anymore to declare that the software is 'free' by several 2008 definitions of free. This is leading to a reluctance to include it in distros. A shame really as the intent to allow distribution is clearly there in the license text.

I just updated the license tags on the freshmeat page (which seem to have been derived from the .lsm file originally) to avoid confusion about the license status of the package.

23 Dec 2008 04:33 gdt

Licensing

See
http://spot.livejournal.com/303000.html (http://spot.livejournal.com/303000.html)
for a discussion of the license of afio.

29 Jun 2007 03:17 dukebid

Re: Status of support for archives into >2GB files on a filesystem
Old but still good. cpio afio backup works on new version of the OS with 2GB minimum.

27 Mar 2007 22:21 kawazu

Re: automated mtx integration?
Koen;

> I think that the afio -H option is the

> option you are looking for.

> If -H does not do what you want, please

> clarify.

Thank you; -H is pretty much what I want. Was stuck too much in tar terminology while searching the man-page for a medium change script or something like this. Thank you for pointing me the right way. :)

Kristian

27 Mar 2007 12:01 kholtman

Re: automated mtx integration?
I think that the afio -H option is the option you are looking for.
If -H does not do what you want, please clarify.

27 Mar 2007 02:31 kawazu

automated mtx integration?
Folks;

been into using tar for (compressed) backups to an LTO-2 tape so far but need to reconsider things as my compressed backup size starts exceeding tape size, which is bad, given that tar is not really usable building compressed archive to span tapes.

By now, I have grown to like the way afio works, but the only thing I am missing is something similar to the "--new-volume-script" option provided by tar to make use of mtx for loading another tape medium using the autoloader.

Is there something like this in afio? If not, is anyone out here using a feature like this with afio? Things would be slightly easier if I was able to have a temporary cache of the split archives on disk but this is not possible due to capacity restrictions in the backup systems...

Thanks in advance and bye,

Kristian

29 Aug 2006 17:54 axl0

Re: afio -c parameter

> I don't hear much nowaways from anybody

> using afio with a tape drive.

well, what would you suggest? afio seemed to fit my needs best...

> With a

> block size of 5K, -c 1000 buffers only

> 5M between each tape access, which is

> pretty low for today's tape drives I

> think. This is a tuning parameter, so I

> guess you should try some values and see

> what works best for you.

i tried it already with different parameters, but it did not make a big difference. so i went on searching the web...

indeed, switching off the encryption thru gpg and gzip made an enormous increase of backup time -- from some hours to only 45 min. so i think the reason 'are' the 'slow' cpus... using encryption, maybe in combination with compression. nevertheless, i cannot believe it's the truth... what a big difference... i thought some of you may have had a similar problem.

cu

axl

27 Aug 2006 03:43 kholtman

Re: afio -c parameter
I don't hear much nowaways from anybody using afio with a tape drive. With a block size of 5K, -c 1000 buffers only 5M between each tape access, which is pretty low for today's tape drives I think. This is a tuning parameter, so I guess you should try some values and see what works best for you.

15 Jul 2006 13:58 axl0

afio -c parameter
great stuff, i'm using afio for to-disk and to-tape backups; on slr and dlt. now i wrote a script encrypting the files via symmetric gpg; but on a dual p3 500 using -c 1000 is quite small i guess... what experiences did you make? cannot find any useful hints on the web.

-axl