Comments for Account Services Manager

30 May 2003 09:29 renegade75

Project Status
This project has not been abandoned. I got hired for a part-time job, and between that, school, and other projects, I simply haven't had much time to work on ASM. I've resumed work, and 0.9.5 should be out during the summer.

As for the documentation, as I stated before, I have not had time to write full documentation yet. This WILL be in v1.0.

As for the comment about the dangers of running a bash script to install the software, I fail to see the danger. When you compile a GNU project, normally you start with ./configure. This is a bash script. If you are worried about security, well, look at the source first...

On that topic, it is GPL. I don't see how there's any confusion over the license. It has *always* been licensed under the GPL.

neikous.com was owned by a friend of mine, and I hosted the web site for him and helped him run it. He failed to renew the domain name and when it dropped, it was registered by a search engine. ASM was moved to www.acctmgr.com before that, anyway. All freshmeat links should point to the new URL.

To remove the software, delete the directory in which you installed it. That's as simple as it is. It doesn't create symlinks or config files outside of that install tree.

To login as administrator, you must login to the admin panel. This is located at /admin/ in the web root. Many people have tried logging in to the main system as root, that does not work. That is only for users. Admins have a separate system.

If anyone has any problems, you can email me at brandon@kindabored.com. Since I haven't logged in to freshmeat in 5 months, I just now changed my freshmeat email address.

16 Feb 2003 18:28 illegalfunction

> % uninformative.
> I've left the documentation at a minimum
> for the time being as the project is
> still under development and is evolving
> rapidly. Documentation would become
> obsolete quickly as I fine tune the
> system. At the end, probably the version
> immediately before 1.0, I will write up
> a long manual explaining everything, and
> an API guide for developers. For now, if
> you have any questions, post on the
> forum at www.neikous.com or email me.

Attempted to take your advice.
www.neikous.com doesn't seem to exist.
Further, it would also appear that this
project might be abandoned. :-/ Too
bad, it appeared, alot went into this.
What a shame.

> for the time being as the project is
> still under development and is evolving
> rapidly. Documentation would become
> obsolete quickly as I fine tune the
> system.

Would documentation in a *generalized*
format be unthinkable? There is a plan,
isn't there? No offence, but it's mighty
frusterating to run a script *hoping*
everything will work as intended. Only
to find out it doesn't. Further, those
willing to *test* this application will be
your best degugers and actually have
something *useful* to contribute
in your mentioned Forum(s).

> At the end, probably the version
> immediately before 1.0, I will write up
> a long manual explaining everything, and
> an API guide for developers. For now, if
> you have any questions, post on the
> forum at www.neikous.com or email me.

16 Feb 2003 18:03 illegalfunction

acctmgr 0.9.4 broken...
To those interested in experiences with this project
at it's current state. Mine has been poor. There is no
documentation (about 12 lines of text that indicate
all you need to do is type bash bin/install - you're done.).
As this project indicates it's aimed at IT's/ ISP's and the
likes. I don't think I have to say that *blindly* running
bash against a script is the kind of stuff that'll give you
nightmares and bring on a cold sweat in a hurry! There's
*apparently* MySQL support - I say apparently, as there's
a module to add a connection and build tables w/ it. However
no text on it (requires opening it in yer text editor). Anyhow,
after reading the script(s) and *daring* to take a chance. I
was left with a new application on one of my machines and
unable to use it - it didn't work. I grepped as much info out of
everything as I could and found no solution. I was unable
to logon as administrator after the installation. It's error log
was filling *rapidly* one of the errors mentioned something
about an error on line 80. As I write this, that's as much as
I recall.
In it's defense, it is still in alpha. So I knew I was taking
a chance. I don't want to sound too indignant about all
this. I simply wanted to share my experience(s) with it
thus far. In hopes that those without the time to really
mess with this might be spared any un-necessary greif
and for others who are curious, might feel a little more
informed.

Now, I have to figure out how to remove this.

Best wishes and good luck,
--IF

27 Jan 2003 12:26 acestus

License?
This project is listed as free for non-commercial AND as GPL. These licenses are not compatible. Which is it?

11 Aug 2002 03:19 renegade75

Re: Documentation

> Wheres the documentation? Docs dir
> contains two files Admin-Guide.txt which
> contains self explanitory information,
> and Credits.txt. The website is just as
> uninformative.

I've left the documentation at a minimum for the time being as the project is still under development and is evolving rapidly. Documentation would become obsolete quickly as I fine tune the system. At the end, probably the version immediately before 1.0, I will write up a long manual explaining everything, and an API guide for developers. For now, if you have any questions, post on the forum at www.neikous.com or email me.

10 Aug 2002 23:54 juntamomonarisan

Documentation
Wheres the documentation? Docs dir contains two files Admin-Guide.txt which contains self explanitory information, and Credits.txt. The website is just as uninformative.