Articles / Welcome to the New Themes.org

Welcome to the New Themes.org

Themes.org has become part of freshmeat today. I'd like to share a short history of the site and explain the reasons behind the decision to do this.

Themes.org was started in 1997 by Earthlink support tech Trae "Octobrx" McCombs, who had a burning need to "make X look purty". It quickly became the premier place on the Internet to get themes and skins for Open Source window managers and programs. In early 1999, Trae came to work for VA Research (now VA Software) and was tapped to take over site management of the Linux.com domain. Themes.org was officially made part of VA Research at that time.

Less than a year later, VA purchased Andover.net (now OSDN), which brought Themes.org, SourceForge, Linux.com, Slashdot, freshmeat, Thinkgeek, and others under one roof.

Greg "KFC" Sanders was then tapped to run Themes.org. Under Greg's tutelage, it grew to approximately 12,000 themes, and we experienced a number of important firsts, including the greatest number of daily visitors and the largest number of cease-and-desist letters (an unfortunate measure of popularity nowadays).

Unfortunately, Themes.org was hacked pretty badly in late 2000, causing it to be taken down and rewritten. This occurred during a time of great upheaval for the corporate parent and a major retrenchment of resources. During this time, Themes.org lay fallow and poorly administered.

scoop, Hemos, and myself, tired of its sad state, decided to put some spare time into the rehabilitation of the site. A major problem was that the code bases for Themes were insecure, and we were faced with maintaining yet another codebase within the company. After a period of evaluating whether or not we had to have a custom interface and codebase, we rolled most of the old Themes.org content into freshmeat. We decided to do this because freshmeat has all the features one needs to access the data in a secure, expedient way. It supports screenshots, has an effective cataloging system, and has the personnel to handle the extra load. You can view just the themes at http://themes.freshmeat.net/.

Since it is our intention to only distribute themes under OSI-approved licenses, most of those listed as "Not for commercial use" (which contained images belonging to others) were removed. If we expect people to respect the GPL, we must also respect them.

Over the years, a great number of Open Source community members have volunteered their time to the creation of this site and the themes it contains. Themes.org served them very well for the majority of its life, and it is our goal to make it a place to be proud of yet again. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or email us. Enjoy the themes, and go make X purty!

Editor's note

Chris, Liedra, and Ray have been working hard at importing and editing the theme descriptions. By the time they appear on the news page, they should be acceptable, but when you go past the front page and poke around the collection, you'll find that we've only processed about 25% of them. We'd like your help with working through the rest. Here's what you can do to help:

Take ownership of your themes

When we made the switch to fm][, we introduced project ownership. All the projects were initially owned by "N/A", and authors needed to claim ownership of them. The same is true now. Please find your themes and click the "change owner" links in the "[Project]" menus to associate them with your freshmeat user account. While you're there, make sure all the information about your themes (categories, etc.) is correct. Make sure we have the most recent version of your theme. In the themes section (unlike our software projects section), we host themes, so you can use the "add release" function to upload your most recent tarball.

Note that only the themes from the database of "Classic" themes.org were imported into freshmeat. If yours was one of the 200-odd themes that were part of themes.org after it was relaunched after the hack, please submit it to us as a new theme.

Fix the descriptions

Many of the descriptions of themes contain spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors. Some were too long for our database fields and have been truncated. Others are simply uninformative. We're going through these as fast as we can, but there's a boatload of them. If you have time, you can help us by submitting changes for problems you see. When you come across a bad description, click the "update project" link. There are two descriptions for each theme. The long description is used on the theme's individual page, and the short description is used for search results and category browsing pages.

You can find our general policies about style in this article. The particular rules for descriptions are:

Short description
The short description should be a complete phrase, but not a complete sentence. In other words, it should be "A theme featuring cows.", not "This is a theme featuring cows.". It should not include the theme's name. It should end with a period.
Long description
The long description should contain full sentences. It must include the theme's name, usually as one of the first words in the description.

All the general guidelines apply; don't refer to the author as "I", don't use HTML, don't duplicate information already in other database fields (such as license information), etc.

Here are some examples:

Theme Description Wrong Right
BlueSteel Short A theme I made from modifying my Steel Orange theme. I recolored all the buttons A theme based on Steel Orange.
Long A theme I made from modifying my Steel Orange theme. I recolored all the buttons/title bars/tiles, it is also using background from Propaganda Volume 12. I am also using the BlueSteel gtk theme, and TopazAmp xmms skin. Last Update Comment: - New font. - All around frames. - Other stuff. BlueSteel is a modified version of the author's Steel Orange theme. It recolors all the buttons, title bars, and tiles. It uses a background from Propaganda Volume 12, the BlueSteel GTK theme, and the TopazAmp XMMS skin.
UnixOS Short My first theme. Features Tux, The FreeBSD daemon and Java's Duke, and A great b A theme featuring Tux, the FreeBSD daemon, and Duke.
Long My first theme. Features Tux, The FreeBSD daemon and Java's Duke, and A great background from propaganda. UnixOS features Tux, the FreeBSD daemon and Java's Duke. It uses a background from propaganda.
Water Short Theme Name : Water Author : Amy R. Dawson (epoh@tamu.edu) Description : A calm water scene at night.
Long Theme Name : Water Author : Amy R. Dawson (epoh@tamu.edu) Description : calm water scene at night. Copyright : images made by myself with Bryce3D Web Site : http://epoh.resnet.tamu.edu Water features a calm water scene at night.

Be patient

Please be extra patient with us for the first few days; we'll have a large backlog of work to process as people flood us with change requests. We'll get to yours as quickly as we can.

Thanks for your support. We look forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions about the site.

RSS Recent comments

01 May 2002 01:46 prosa

Good move
It has been quite a long time since I roamed themes.org with such a satisfaction. The previous site had too problems: it was overflown with beautiful features that in fact clogged the navigation: lots of icons, pictures, links, banners. When designing a site, even with such a theme like themes, one should follow the rule of keeping it simple. The previous site was beautiful but quite unpractical because it was too complex.

On the new/old freshmeat I was pleased to roam tens of themes in a few minutes. I could fastly look at the themes pick up a few choices and stop in two superb themes. And that's what people want: get a choice easy and fast. My congratulations to the best Open Source bazaar in the net.

01 May 2002 01:58 eelf

Spiffy :)
Okay, I'll probably piss some people off with this, and hurt some other people's feelings. I apologise in advance.

OSDN has bough a number of sites and then redesigned them, not using the original staff and designers. Usually it turned out really, really, horribly. In fact, I can't think of a single example where they didn't ruin the site.

Until today :) themes.freshmeat.net looks good, and I can already tell that it'll be great to navigate and use. I guess the freshmeat.net code just happens to work really well in this application.

I'd like to congratulate all the people involved in this transition. I think it looks great so far, and I'm confident that, assuming themes start rolling again, it'll just get better :)

01 May 2002 02:18 Zerotheos

Themes.org was once a very well designed (graphically) site, as well as being a great time waster. Then it got hacked. Then it was gone. Then some _complete crap_ site replaced it, with the lovely old site at classic.themes.org.. but it was static and wasn't being updated. I cried. One good thing came out of this, one of the themes was frozen on the front page ;). But no really, I did cry. It sucked. Now I see this news? You guys have beat my wildest expectations of what was going to happen to themes.org. THANK YOU THANK YOU I'm sure I won't be the only person this pleases. Thanks again!

btw someone burn the current themes.org, if I ever see the scooter again I'll hurt someone.

01 May 2002 02:27 eyez

The gods have smiled upon us this day...
I almost had a heart attack when I read this.. The old themes.org was beautiful, but I've been preaching the tragic end of themes.org since I saw that horrid scooter fetch-the-rover monstrosity.

But this is the best possible news I could have seen for themes.org, and was downright shocking (in a very good way). Thanks to everyone who has made this possible.

01 May 2002 02:38 antiracist

what about enlightenment?
was enlightenment left off the list of theme sections on purpose or is it not going to get a section? i know e.themes.org had more than enough themes in it to justify it's own section here. after the demise of themes.org i mirrored quite a few ethemes. if someone will contact me and let me know if it's ok, i'll upload them so they're available for now until the authors can claim them...

01 May 2002 02:39 antiracist

woops...
silly me. forgot to check first, of course...

01 May 2002 02:47 wassy121

gtk2
sunshineinabag.co.uk has a bunch of themes on it for gtk2. Maybe there should be a GNOME2/gtk2 section started soon. I am _very_ glad to see this happen. Thanks a lot you guys.

01 May 2002 02:53 empurium

Yes! Finally!
Dude this has needed to happen for a *LONG* time. The second version of themes.org was absolutely disgusting; something freshmeat has never been. Now freshmeat has gone and done the most unexpected (for me at least) thing possible, while simultaneously doing the most sexy thing possible. You dudes rock. <big kiss>

01 May 2002 03:29 cdibona

I should point out...
That the importing work wasn't done by me, but by Ray, Liedra and others, I mostly worked on the old backends (And some code which we aren't using for t.o) keeping them going unti lthe transition, fixing the mail servers etc. I wanted credit to go where it was due, though.

I'm really happy at the response to this so far, though.

Chris DiBona

01 May 2002 04:19 paranoid2

Re: I should point out...

> I'm really happy at the response to
> this so far, though.

Perhaps some clarification is necessary. After following the instructions detailed in your paragraph titled "Fix the descriptions", I received replies asking me not to do so until the package owners had been properly located...

01 May 2002 04:30 Avatar liedra

Re: I should point out...

> % I'm really happy at the response
> to
> % this so far, though.
> Perhaps some clarification is
> necessary. After following the
> instructions detailed in your paragraph
> titled "Fix the descriptions",
> I received replies asking me not to do
> so until the package owners had been
> properly located...

I'm sorry, this was a minor miscommunication on our behalf, we would like updates to themes, and encourage them - apologies to Paranoid, and thanks for helping out.

- liedra

01 May 2002 09:30 DontTreadOnMe

Needed Improvement
You really, really need to break KDE (and presumably Gnome and Enlightenment) themes out by which version of the desktop they support. No one has the time or inclination to wade through 300 KDE 1.x themes to find a KDE 3.x theme.

I suggest a structure like

themes/kde/1
themes/kde/2
themes/kde3
etc.

i.e. divided by major version number, then sorted by minor version number in descending order. This would help IMMENSLY, as someone running KDE 3.x will NEVER want an incompatable KDE 2 or KDE 1 theme.

The same goes for Gnome, Enlightenment, and other large systems whose themes are incompatible from version to version.

01 May 2002 10:49 deuterium

Rating themes
Wow, this is was realy needed..
But erm, rating the themes is a bit sucky, because you've got to click a link to go to the rating page.. Can't you make a drop down box next to that blue/gray bar, which alows you to rate the theme/software?

01 May 2002 11:13 salmo

what???!!!!
This is horrible! How am I supposed to find a new way to waste countless amounts of time everyday waiting for the t.o pages to load with the various types of themes I use? No more scouring the net for themes like I've done since t.o stoppped being updated. Now I'm going to have to do actual work or something. Geeze. You guys think you could make it so it runs really slow, or is organized in such an odd way that I have to follow 12 links to get from GTK to Sawfish themes?

No, but really, this is incredible. I've always loved freshmeat because I can find what I want in seconds. This is great that I can now do the same thing with themes too, which deep down inside are software, too :-).

I'm so happy I think I may shed a tear. Keep up the good work. You guys rock my world!

01 May 2002 11:34 riddley

The other "stuff" from T.o?
What about Mozilla/xmms/backgrounds/icons/fonts/xdm-themes/etc ?

01 May 2002 11:43 spacedman

Brain-dead filtering?
Ugh. Normally I dont care about themes, so I've set all my filters to filter them out when I browse www.freshmeat.net. But then occasionally I might want to find a new theme. So I go to themes.freshmeat.net. Oh dear, everything is filtered out!

Is it supposed to work like that?

01 May 2002 12:22 aleman32

THEMES is always so slooooww!
So, does sharing themes.org on freshmeat make it faster or slower? The way I figure, by freshmeat sharing themes.org, they are giving it more of something it already has too much of, publicity. I will continue to go no where near that site outside weeknights between 2 and 4am.

01 May 2002 12:39 ed_avis

Misleading URL?
Surely themes.freshmeat.net should be a collection of CSS stylesheets to make Freshmeat look nicer :-).

01 May 2002 14:13 oddo

Not all themes are transferred?
I am missing all of my themes. They were added to themes.org a long time ago. Some of them are "Noses," "Book of Saturday," "Relayer."

I am just a blind, or was there no note about some themes not being transferred?

01 May 2002 15:05 scoop

Re: Brain-dead filtering?

> Ugh. Normally I dont care about themes,
> so I've set all my filters to filter
> them out when I browse
> www.freshmeat.net. But then occasionally
> I might want to find a new theme. So I
> go to themes.freshmeat.net. Oh dear,
> everything is filtered out!
> Is it supposed to work like that?

Actually I suggest you use software.freshmeat.net for your regular freshmeat usage which excludes themes completely without any filters and use themes.freshmeat.net if you're hunting for themes.

01 May 2002 15:06 scoop

Re: Rating themes

> Wow, this is was realy needed..
> But erm, rating the themes is a bit
> sucky, because you've got to click a
> link to go to the rating page.. Can't
> you make a drop down box next to that
> blue/gray bar, which alows you to rate
> the theme/software?

I'll try to add that in. Give me a few minutes.

01 May 2002 15:22 inm

Joke?
According to the time the article was written and-so-on, it looks like if the funny guys at freshmeat.net/themes.org made a nice 1st of may joke too this year..

01 May 2002 16:42 jeffcovey

Re: Joke?

> it looks like if the funny guys at freshmeat.net/themes.org made a
> nice 1st of may joke too this year..

No, but if you go back to the April 1st
article, you'll see today's events foreshadowed there. :)

01 May 2002 17:39 pridkett

Screenshots
In general, thank you. I've been going through theme withdrawal for a long time. Albeit, I'm happy with Crux, it's starting to get old. My one gripe is that the screenshots aren't big enough to realistically distinguish the themes.

Take a look at the thinice screenshot, because it is scaled you can't see the finer details on the scroll bars. This goes for many other themes. For apps where you can go to a home page and get more screenshots, this is fine, but for themes you need to have the full resolution screenshots or you will miss many of the important small details that the authors put into their themes.

01 May 2002 18:02 squisher

You go guys!
Man, I was really missing a good place for themes. I'm really glad that we again have a place for nice themes for our software! Wonderful, I hope that lots of themes will be posted soon =)

Bye,
Squisher

01 May 2002 18:07 squisher

Re: Screenshots

> Take a look at the thinice screenshot,
> because it is scaled you can't see the
> finer details on the scroll bars. This
> goes for many other themes. For apps
> where you can go to a home page and get
> more screenshots, this is fine, but for
> themes you need to have the full
> resolution screenshots or you will miss
> many of the important small details that
> the authors put into their themes.

I can only agree, there is not much more to add. I understand that speed/storage space is rare and for applications it seems reasonable to have small/bad quality screenshots. But themes are somewhat all about eye-candy... so, good screenshots are a must. I don't think that it should be too hard to fix that, right?

01 May 2002 20:19 Avatar liedra

Re: Screenshots

> My one gripe is
> that the screenshots aren't big enough
> to realistically distinguish the
> themes.

This has been brought to our attention, and although the themes that were imported from themes.org will have the scaled screenshot, any updates of screenshots or new themes will have the screenshot cropped to 640x480 in the top left hand corner. Hopefully this will address both space and aesthetic issues. :-)

- liedra

01 May 2002 20:41 fiveiron

Awesome....just plain awesome.
You guys rock. This is the best decision I've seen happen in a long time in any of the communities I have been involved in. If I wasn't bogged down with work and other responsibilities online, I would offer my coding services in a heartbeat.

01 May 2002 21:32 michaelgrant

New Site
thank-you, thank-you, thank-you.

01 May 2002 22:10 jeffcovey

Re: Not all themes are transferred?
Hmmmmm... Were they added to themes.org after it was hacked and
restarted with the new codebase? The 200-odd themes from that
database weren't imported, just the ones from classic.themes.org.

01 May 2002 23:24 yazz

Re: Spiffy :)

> Okay, I'll probably piss some people off
> with this, and hurt some other people's
> feelings. I apologise in advance.
> OSDN has bough a number of sites and
> then redesigned them, not using the
> original staff and designers. Usually it
> turned out really, really, horribly. In
> fact, I can't think of a single example
> where they didn't ruin the site.

Humm... what sites did OSDN buy? I have worked what was Andover.Net just before VA bought them and I don't remember adding any new sites since then. Some sites like t.o and l.c came over from VA's neck of the woods. Then again I have been wrong before. I'm to busy to think about such things most days...have to make sure my cellphone battery doesn't fall off again... :)

> Until today :) themes.freshmeat.net
> looks good, and I can already tell that
> it'll be great to navigate and use. I
> guess the freshmeat.net code just
> happens to work really well in this
> application.
> I'd like to congratulate all the
> people involved in this transition. I
> think it looks great so far, and I'm
> confident that, assuming themes start
> rolling again, it'll just get better
> :)

I'm very happy with the direction Freshmeat is heading and OSDN in general. As one of the Sys Admins for OSDN it nice seeing t.o back (aka site being actively developed). Now that its running under the Freshmeat ][ code I'm sure it will continue to be improved.

Your OSDN BOFH,
Yazz

01 May 2002 23:35 jspaleta

Ack...the signal to noise has gone down
How do I make sure theme announcements don't show up on the freshmeat homepage? I really don't want to keep up with every theme that gets placed into freshmeat. I'm much more interested in reading summariers of software that I might not be aware of yet.

Don't get me wrong..having the themes archived is a good idea...but being told about every addition of a theme on freshmeats homepage impairs my ability to find new software.

I think as a defualt themes should be filtered out of the www.freshmeat.net homepage new/updated software listings. Let themes.freshmeat.net show today's theme updates. For me themes are something I go hunting for when I get bored with what I have. The text descriptions that show up on freshmeat.net's homepage for a new/updated theme are of limited utility from day to day.

01 May 2002 23:44 XGA11101

Really miss the old themes site design
I'm sorry if I'm the only one who feels this way, but I really don't like the freshmeat navigation system, never have. I really love the search ability here, as long as I'm not just browsing. I didn't like the revised themes.org site either. I also don't really understand why the old site design for themes.org was insecure(maybe because it used php?). I really really miss the old themes.org. I used to sit there and browse all the screenshots, thinking of how I can fix up my own desktop.

I think the navigation system on the old site was great, perfect for the content that it hosted.

Thanks for bringing themes.org back, but I'll have fond memories, and old themes from now on...

01 May 2002 23:51 ivan5242

Re: Really miss the old themes site design

> I'm sorry if I'm the only one who feels
> this way, but I really don't like the
> freshmeat navigation system, never have.
> I really love the search ability here,
> as long as I'm not just browsing. I
> didn't like the revised themes.org site
> either. I also don't really understand
> why the old site design for themes.org
> was insecure(maybe because it used
> php?).

Please don't be so ignorant. PHP does not make things insecure.

01 May 2002 23:54 Avatar liedra

Re: Ack...the signal to noise has gone down

> How do I make sure theme announcements
> don't show up on the freshmeat homepage?

You really want to visit software.freshmeat.net (software.freshmeat.net), the top level freshmeat.net (freshmeat.net)shows all the releases for software., themes., and palm.freshmeat.net. Thus palm.freshmeat.net shows only Palm-related releases, and themes.freshmeat.net only theme-related releases.

- liedra

02 May 2002 00:27 fieschko

fvwm2 themes?

Weren't there also fvwm2 themes on the 'Classic' themes.org?

If yes, are they 'to be added' or are there license problems or something else preventing them from appearing?

02 May 2002 04:55 scoop

Re: Needed Improvement

> You really, really need to break KDE
> (and presumably Gnome and Enlightenment)
> themes out by which version of the
> desktop they support. No one has the
> time or inclination to wade through 300
> KDE 1.x themes to find a KDE 3.x
> theme.

I just finished adding the additional nodes and I also moved themes (as far as it was recognizable from the version string) into the appropriate categories. This has currently been done for Enlightenment, Sawfish, KDE and Gnome/GTK.

Thanks for your suggestion.

02 May 2002 07:00 jeffcovey

Re: Ack...the signal to noise has gone down
If you go to freshmeat.net/my/prefe...,
you can set which section should be redirected to by default. You
can, for example, ask that accessing freshmeat.net/ really takes
you to software.freshmeat.net/.

02 May 2002 07:26 deuterium

Re: Rating themes

> I'll try to add that in. Give me a few
> minutes.

You just made my day.. and it took you only a few minutes..
Did I make your day now? :) *grins*

FM is getting better and better!

02 May 2002 07:26 jeffcovey

Re: fvwm2 themes?

> Weren't there also fvwm2 themes on the 'Classic' themes.org?

Hmmmm... According to scoop, there weren't. Sorry. :(

02 May 2002 08:29 weaselboy

"Complete Clause"? Uh, no...
By definition a clause has a verb. So the examples you gave were not complete clauses. However, they were complete *phrases*, which is probably what you meant to say. 8th grade grammar, man...

02 May 2002 09:00 dunbar

Re: Screenshots

> SNIP My one gripe is
> that the screenshots aren't big enough
> to realistically distinguish the
> themes.
SNIP

I'd venture that the new site will get some attention whereas, evidently, no one cared about updating the screenshots on the old site (would that be 'cuz the old site was soo malfunctional?)

I feel rather fortunate: I found the old themes.org site only last week, and joined freshmeat only yesterday.... 2 great benefits in 7 days can't be all that bad, can it? Now if only DMCA would die rather loudly, I'd be quite pleased.

02 May 2002 12:04 lymond6

Thank You, and a Request to Theme creators:
First, just thank you so much. I loved the original themes.org, and was deeply disappointed with the recent changes, making navigation, for my tastes, a nightmare. The new themes section here at freshmeat is just bloody marvelous. I can browse or search it to my heart's content, and find a rich array of screenshots (for which I am a sucker) with facility. And this is while you are having your shakedown cruise, it can only get better! THANKS!

Now, a request for Theme Makers. Most of you do this in your screen shots, but for those who don't, a suggestion: Can you endeavour to include either menus or docks, not just a nice background pic. What makes many themes rise or fall is the integration of contrasting or complementary designs and colours in the varying parts of the desktop, be it menus or docks or whatever. So when posting your screenshot, keep in mind that those details are interesting and helpful to those of us who are new to your theme, and may lack resources or time to download and try EVERY theme we might like to. Thank you, in advance, for that consideration

02 May 2002 12:37 oddo

Re: Not all themes are transferred?

> Hmmmmm... Were they added to themes.org
> after it was hacked and
> restarted with the new codebase? The
> 200-odd themes from that
> database weren't imported, just the
> ones from classic.themes.org.

That is a shame, because they were :/ I don't have them around. Pity.

02 May 2002 12:46 noda132

Re: Really miss the old themes site design

> either. I also don't really understand
> why the old site design for themes.org
> was insecure(maybe because it used
> php?).

What do you think Freshmeat runs on?

02 May 2002 16:57 unknownlamer

Re: Screenshots

> This has been brought to our
> attention, and although the themes that
> were imported from themes.org will have
> the scaled screenshot, any updates of
> screenshots or new themes will have the
> screenshot cropped to 640x480 in the top
> left hand corner. Hopefully this will
> address both space and aesthetic issues.
> :-)
> - liedra

But what about Windowmaker (and AfterSTEP) themes where you want to see what the dock tiles look like? Cropping the shot to the top-left 640x480 excludes this important element of theme. Grrr...

02 May 2002 18:41 rawg

I knew it!
One day I thought to myself, "Freshmeat would be a great place for themes." So I typed in themes.freshmeat.net and there it was. I was so happy that I posted it to the themes.org site. A few days later I seen the message about a new site being done for themes.org. I just knew it was going to be freshmeat doing it.

Thank you FM!

02 May 2002 18:46 Avatar liedra

Re: Screenshots

> But what about Windowmaker (and
> AfterSTEP) themes where you want to see
> what the dock tiles look like? Cropping
> the shot to the top-left 640x480
> excludes this important element of
> theme. Grrr...

Well, for Window Maker at least there is (usually) the clip in the top left... but we have put up a message stating what will be done with screenshots - I guess if you find a dodgy one it'd probably be best to IM the author to ask for a better one :-)

- liedra

02 May 2002 20:03 unknownlamer

Re: Screenshots

> % But what about Windowmaker (and
> % AfterSTEP) themes where you want to
> see
> % what the dock tiles look like?
> Cropping
> % the shot to the top-left 640x480
> % excludes this important element of
> % theme. Grrr...
> Well, for Window Maker at least there
> is (usually) the clip in the top left...
> but we have put up a message stating
> what will be done with screenshots - I
> guess if you find a dodgy one it'd
> probably be best to IM the author to ask
> for a better one :-)
> - liedra

Why not offer the option of cropped or scaled? Or, why not like the old new themes.org where you had to pick the region for the link to the real shot and let the theme submitter click on the region they want to show up in the cropped screenshot (or at least offer an option of top-left, bottom-left, top-right, bottom-right, center).

02 May 2002 20:05 psavo

Re: Screenshots

> But what about Windowmaker (and
> AfterSTEP) themes where you want to see
> what the dock tiles look like? Cropping
> the shot to the top-left 640x480
> excludes this important element of
> theme. Grrr...

What's wrong with taking screenshot at 640x480? Of course with WMaker one should clearly state which reso the background pic is, but that's a general courtesy anyways.

02 May 2002 21:03 redeye

Occy != ELNK
BOING! Trae (occy to his loving friends) was NEVER a EarthLink Tech. He worked for the dead and much beloved MindSpring. He bailed for the heady dot.com(bomb) days in San Jose (then Lake Tahoe) before the darkness swept over the land.

02 May 2002 21:15 martinbogo

Re: Spiffy :)
Hey Yazz! Nice to see you're still having fun at OSDN... great job to everyone on the transition. It's good to know that Themes.org is once again online.

Now I won't have to go load a theme, go watch a movie, and get back in time to see the page load.

Martin

02 May 2002 21:38 antitux

heh.
I really miss themes.org. it used to feel like a real community of artists. Maybe this will help bring it back.
One can only hope...
John "AntiTuX" DeeMaking love, war, and little babies...
well, at least babies... (bofh-international.org...)

02 May 2002 22:29 asleep

Adult Section
I'm wondering... after a talk w/ KFC and the promise of an adult section - that never came (understandably so), can I post my 'adult themes' to the adult section now?

Or should they stick to my site? Some of them - yes, include nakie chicks - but are just plain good.

02 May 2002 23:46 jjramsey

Wish that site looked as good as classic.themes.org, but . . .
. . . I'm at least glad that themes.org is actually working again. It was sad to see themes.org become a pathetic shadow of its old self. Now at least the site is *functional*, which is something that couldn't be said of the last themes.org.

At least its up and running.

03 May 2002 05:35 sjmurdoch

Where to put the Backgrounds
Firstly, thanks to all those who worked to move Themes.org over to Freshmeat, it's much better now.
However I can't see where to put background images that are not associated with any particular Window Manager. I have a couple that I would be happy to upload again, but there doesn't seem to be a section for these at the moment. Are there plans to create a new section, since I think this would be a good idea?

03 May 2002 07:54 jeffcovey

Re: Adult Section
It's here (themes.freshmeat.net/b...).

03 May 2002 08:15 pr0t3uS

Preview
It's nice to have themes back so the comunity can start to live again. I like everything you made but the theme preview. It's to small!!! I can see themes badly. So please make the preview just a bit bigger.

Thanks

03 May 2002 08:30 TKO

wallpaper catagory?
Any chance of a wallpaper section being implemented?

03 May 2002 08:40 scoop

Re: Preview

> It's nice to have themes back so the
> comunity can start to live again. I like
> everything you made but the theme
> preview. It's to small!!! I can see
> themes badly. So please make the preview
> just a bit bigger.

freshmeat.net/faq/view... (freshmeat.net/faq/view...)

03 May 2002 11:34 jeffcovey

Re: wallpaper catagory?

> Any chance of a wallpaper section being implemented?

See themes.freshmeat.net/b....

03 May 2002 12:34 wiggins

Re: Where to put the Backgrounds

> Firstly, thanks to all those who worked
> to move Themes.org over to Freshmeat,
> it's much better now.
> However I can't see where to put
> background images that are not
> associated with any particular Window
> Manager. I have a couple that I would be
> happy to upload again, but there doesn't
> seem to be a section for these at the
> moment. Are there plans to create a new
> section, since I think this would be a
> good idea?

From above comment: themes.freshmeat.net/b...

03 May 2002 13:37 asleep

Re: Adult Section

> It's here.

I'll take that as a "Yes, go ahead and send them in.".

03 May 2002 14:34 wiggins

Re: The other "stuff" from T.o?

> What about
> Mozilla/xmms/backgrounds/icons/fonts/xdm-themes/etc
> ?

Backgrounds, icons, and fonts are already listed under teh "Resources" link though no projects have been listed as of yet....

03 May 2002 19:13 starseeker

Backgrounds
What is the policy if the original source for a background image has vanished?

Also, in the case of themes which use Digital Blasphemy themes (which will have to be removed since he doesn't permit redistribution, see www.digitalblasphemy.c...) is there any way that a sort of archive be created containing the theme without the background image, and a note as to which image was used so people who have a subscription to the site can still make use of the theme?

04 May 2002 03:15 luci

broken full views
the full screenshots or previews seems to be broken :(
instead of showing the full view image it shows broken image named array#### where #### is a number.
this error appears (i tried it with) in opera 6.0b2 and mozilla 0.9.8

04 May 2002 03:19 luci

Re: broken full views
oops, i'm sorry! the name of the image is in this format:
#####.Array

04 May 2002 03:27 scoop

Re: broken full views

> oops, i'm sorry! the name of the image
> is in this format:
> #####.Array

Fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

04 May 2002 12:59 jeffcovey

Re: Backgrounds

> What is the policy if the original source for a background image has
> vanished?

I don't understand what you're asking.

> Also, in the case of themes which use Digital Blasphemy themes
> (which will have to be removed since he doesn't permit
> redistribution, see
> www.digitalblasphemy.c...) is there any way
> that a sort of archive be created containing the theme without the
> background image, and a note as to which image was used so people
> who have a subscription to the site can still make use of the theme?

I think the best solution is for the theme author to include the
necessary information in the tarball README.

05 May 2002 10:47 ottomaddox

Fvwm themes? XDM? Bashish?
Can anybody please tell me if there are plans to put the themes for fvwm back onto the new site?

How about XDM resources? Bash prompts?

It seems that all the stuff that I used from the good old classic themes.org is not here... bummer, because I was really excited when I heard themes.org was back up and running.

05 May 2002 11:01 paol

Sawfish theme issues

First of all, thanks to the FM crew for rescuing the once mighty themes.org. I had almost given up on them...

I just wanted to report a problem with the sawfish themes:
Sawfish reads themes in tar.gz formaty, but it requires the file name to match the name of the theme contained in the tarbal.

Unfortunately the FM backend renames the file to name-version.tar.gz. There was a time the old themes.org had the same problem, and every once in a while someone would come on the mailing list asking "why can't I get themes to work?".

So, would it be possible to respect the name of the uploaded file? As it stands all SF themes dowloaded from freshmeat have to be corrected by hand or they won't work. :(

05 May 2002 15:52 edsonmedina

agrh!
now the homepage will be flooded with crappy themes, which means more distance between us and the good software.

dont you guys want to move slashdot inside too?

what's the purpose of this?

05 May 2002 15:58 scoop

Re: agrh!

> now the homepage will be flooded with
> crappy themes, which means more distance
> between us and the good software.

Yes. agrh! (freshmeat.net/faq/view...).

06 May 2002 12:18 jeffcovey

Re: agrh!
Are people just genetically incapable of reading the FAQ?

freshmeat.net/faq/view...

07 May 2002 07:15 jeffcovey
07 May 2002 10:05 brettrandall

Re: agrh!

vs lbh pna ernq guvf, lbh'er n trrx

fubjvat zl gehr pbybhef

13 May 2002 23:23 ph1sh

Re: Good move
yep

16 Jun 2002 18:30 jamstar

Posting new Themes
I like the idea of themes being posted at Freshmeat. However, I've tried uploading my latest, Cancerman for Blackbox, and I keep getting an error message every time I try to upload it. I can't get past Step 1. This is ridiculous. Shouldn't this be *EASY* to use? Otherwise, why bother sharing what you've done if you can't submit it?

FWIW, this theme is now on my website, along with other themes I've authored for Blackbox. At least I *know* I can put it *there*...

16 Jun 2002 19:13 angles

"Poorly Ported" pack of themes to GTK2
I hacked the following GTK1.2 themes just enough to get them working in pre-release versions of Gnome2 (GTK2). For my own use I put them in a RPM package. My question is can I submit this to FM themes or does it insult the authors to see hacked versions of their work.

The readme clearly says:
"PACKAGER DID NOT AUTHOR ANY THEMES HERE, AUTHORS DESERVE CREDIT FOR THE ORIGINAL THEME, AND AUTHORS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THESE "POORLY PORTED" THEMES IF THEY DO NOT LOOK AS GOOD ..."

Package currently includes:
Adept-Premier-x2, AdeptX-y2, Aphex-blue-x2, Aphex-x2, AquaGraphite-x2, AquaLightBlue-x2, AquaX-gtk-2-x2, Balloon-x2, Bumblebee-x2, Dark-x2, Emotion-Sickness-x2, Etria.org-x2, H2O_Amber-x2, H2O_Amythist-x2, H2O_Emerald-x2, H2O_Ruby-x2, H2O_Saphire-x2, LCARS-x2, Metallic_plum-x2, Mozilla-modern-2-x2, Mozilla-modern-x2, Origami-x2, PastelFlat-z2. The last 3 chars have meaning described in the pack's readme file.

Anyone know it I can submit the pack?

17 Jun 2002 15:41 jeffcovey

Re: Posting new Themes

1. How long did it take you to come up with the theory that posting a
comment here would do more to help you than going to
themes.freshmeat.net/c...
and writing to the people who can actually do something for you?

2. How much help do you expect when your entire bug report is that you
got "an error message"?

25 Jun 2002 02:06 kisses

Re: wallpaper catagory?
what can we find in this catagory?

25 Jun 2002 02:10 kisses

Re: wallpaper catagory?
what kind of wallpaper can we find in this catagory?

25 Jun 2002 07:00 jeffcovey

Re: wallpaper catagory?

> what kind of wallpaper can we find in this catagory?

What kind of comments can we find under this article?

launch4j

A cross-platform Java application wrapper for creating Windows native executables.

The Eventual PlayFramework-AngularJS-Bootstrap-MongoDB Seed Project

A seed project that combines Play Framework, AngularJS, Bootstrap, and MongoDB.