Articles / Help On The Way

Help On The Way

Despite begging, cajoling, writing FAQs, and renaming our "report problem" link to "broken links", we've never been able to convince everyone that http://freshmeat.net/contact/ is for writing us with problems with freshmeat itself. We still get a few messages each day from people asking why BloggyBlog 3.17 won't post their parakeet photos or telling us about misspellings in the Swedish translation of our firewall script. Until now, we've had to express our regret that we only list information about the 40,000 projects on our site, and can't provide tech support for them all. Today, we're happy to announce that's all changing.

As the day traders among you will know, our grandparent company recently posted its first profitable quarter. In the post-profit euphoria, we convinced the finance department to greenlight one of our long-running requests to Human Resources, and have been able to hire consultants to handle user questions.

As we hoped to do, we've engaged an international support group with centers around the globe, and so will be able to give realtime consultations 24/7. The staff will come on for shifts at appropriate hours for their locations, and two consultants should be available at all times. They'll be waiting to take your inquiries at:

channel: #helpdesk
server:  irc.freshmeat.net

While they obviously can't be familiar with every project we list, our consultants do have a wide knowledge of Unix and Mac software and access to a great library of reference material. Give them a little time, and we think they'll be able to help you through most of the problems you'll encounter with any software you find here.

We hope this will also take some of the pressure off you project authors, but please feel free to drop in as well and check the advice our team is giving.

Please stop by and let us know how we can help. Best of luck!

RSS Recent comments

28 Mar 2006 16:30 LordFalcon

IRC Network missing
You might have mentioned this is on the oftc irc network... You know it helps since some of us are already on that network :)

30 Mar 2006 05:52 poncez

one step ahead
anticipating tomorrow news? ;P

01 Apr 2006 02:22 lintux

Nobody available :-(
I tried to get someone to help me with my FireFox problem. Suddenly my whole browser turned pink when I opened SlashDot this morning. Where's that Bob guy mentioned in the topic? I need his help!

01 Apr 2006 02:39 mungkie

nice to ferashmaet give back to the comunisty
at last fraeshmeat is give back to the comunty. well done gays you playing the game with the good.

Now can you hlep me with my project, its not seem wurk sum times. How can I complie it, its say i need gcc.

regards and thanx

01 Apr 2006 05:10 buanzo

hey, that's great
I'll post the spanish translation at my blog. I'm a big fm fan :) - Thanks to you one of my applications got into Sourcemage gnu/linux :D :D

01 Apr 2006 06:12 Kell

Is it just me...
Is it just me, or is everyone really taking this article seriously? I hate to break the news on you people, but it IS the 1st of April. Gladly, Freshmeat decided to stick to their colors and not go pink. ;)

01 Apr 2006 07:30 r3d5un

Vista Support
Well, i'm wondering how long it will take until Microsoft puts it's new Windows Vista on freshmeat so they can use their Support team as a cheap solution to deal with the (many many) support request.

But i think Microsoft has to hurry because i doubt that this Support Team will last until tomorrow ;)

01 Apr 2006 07:50 davidhart

Blocking Error
Error: Cannot find Pashtu translation!

01 Apr 2006 09:18 cberthold

Neat idea for an April Fools Prank
Gee I wonder if a post that was initiated exactly at midnight on the first day of April could possibly be a false announcement and really is some ridiculous hoax and ploy to all those who forgot about our special occasion of the day.

=o)

01 Apr 2006 14:19 malbrigt

FM + 1.st april = Human resources joke
Even tho the idea is good, doable is another issue.

Anyone remember last years joke?

As I remember ( at least something like this ), freshmeat was "hiring" writers, with an incredible salary ;-)

21 Aug 2006 23:57 CollegeStudent

Wordsmithing
"Despite begging, cajoling, writing FAQs, and renaming our 'report problem' link to 'broken links', we've never been able to convince everyone"

You're not alone. :) Similar issues come up with my client websites all the time and I've concluded that unless I'm willing to break the consistency of the page design with some kind of bright box or arrow or larger font, it's not going away.

daniel _AT_ tuggle.it (tuggle.it)

19 Dec 2006 07:42 Theimprover

Don't exaggerate with it
This idea isn't healthy for software industry, or anything else. Try not to o far with that April fool thing, kids!

14 Mar 2007 21:58 endless552001

the idea is good
the idea is good, and I support it.

14 Aug 2011 21:41 mon012 Thumbs up

i love your idea, lol

YourKit Java Profiler

A CPU and memory Java profiler.

Moqui Framework

An all-in-one, enterprise-ready application framework based on Groovy and Java.