Articles / freshmeat launches Mac OS X...

freshmeat launches Mac OS X section

We've had trove nodes for the Mac OS X operating system and the Mac OS X Carbon and Cocoa frameworks for ages. We've had an OS X package download link for ages. Now we officially have a whole freshmeat section devoted to the next generation of Apple's operating system. Click the link to read the full story.

As usual, people not interested in this new section are free to ignore it. If you have a freshmeat user account you probably already know about the ability to compile your own set of sections to include at the default 'freshmeat.net' location. If you already opted to do that and are eager to have the new Mac OS X section included in your feed as well, please go to your user preferences and check the box near the section name.

While we're populating the Mac OS X section with software it will be included in the main feed by default. This will change once a sufficent number of projects has been added and the section will be made just as separate as the themes section is.

We need your help!

Although we'll be adding each and every piece of Mac OS X software we come across we can use your help. If you're a Mac OS X addict like me and Catie "MRS. FLICK" Flick we'd appreciate it if you could just add your favourite bunch of applications and tools by clicking the submit link in the blue navbar above.

We already hand-moved the dozen or so applications from our main software section over to the Mac OS X section that were already present, if you come across a project that we missed out, either contact us or use the update project link on the respective project pages to request a section change.

As usual, let us know if you have any suggestions or criticism by either commenting this article or contacting us through the contact form.

And for the sake of completeness, I wish you all a pleasant holiday season and a happy new year!

Sincerely,
Patrick Lenz (scoop)
Site manager freshmeat.net

RSS Recent comments

23 Dec 2002 09:18 xnc

Great!
This is great news. Thank for adding it.

23 Dec 2002 09:26 elfelipe

MacOSX software for Unices?
That would be great!

23 Dec 2002 09:59 ed_avis

Adding other platforms?
Now that Freshmeat is no longer solely limited to Unixlike OSes, will other platforms be allowed?

(Okay, Mac OS X has a lot of Unixlike stuff, but there will be plenty of applications for that system which use Apple's proprietary APIs and are not really 'Unix applications'. BeOS also has a good collection of Unix and GNU tools, plus its own windowing system and APIs. If Mac OS X is Unix then so are a lot of other systems. After all, Freshmeat published an editorial a while back saying that 'Mac OS X is not Unix'.

I think the move to broaden Freshmeat and allow software from a wider range of platforms is great. I just hope it extends to other platforms than the Macintosh.)

23 Dec 2002 10:37 binaryDigit

Re: Adding other platforms?

> Now that Freshmeat is no longer solely
> limited to Unixlike OSes, will other
> platforms be allowed?
> (Okay, Mac OS X has a lot of Unixlike
> stuff,

Unixlike OSes and Unixlike stuff? Hey, it's a full blown Unix, as much as any other Unix is. Just because it has proprietary stuff thrown in does not make it any less a Unix than anything else.

23 Dec 2002 12:25 starkfist

Great .. More Clutter
hopfully Mac developers don't ever find freshmeat and posting of non Linux/BSD Application will be kept to a minimum.

Yah Flame me, What ever! Atleast I'm not the one using a MAC.

23 Dec 2002 12:38 omega996

Re: Adding other platforms?

> Now that Freshmeat is no longer solely
> APIs. If Mac OS X is Unix then so are a
> lot of other systems. After all,
> Freshmeat published an editorial a while
> back saying that 'Mac OS X is not
> Unix'.
> I think the move to broaden Freshmeat
> and allow software from a wider range of
> platforms is great. I just hope it
> extends to other platforms than the
> Macintosh.)

wow, and all this time i thought bsd 4.4 was UNIX. moreso than the hacked-together mess of Linux. Does this mean i should stop looking for software for FreeBSD here, too?

23 Dec 2002 12:42 kaideling

Re: Adding other platforms?

> Now that Freshmeat is no longer solely
> tools, plus its own windowing system and
> APIs. If Mac OS X is Unix then so are a
> lot of other systems. After all,
> Freshmeat published an editorial a while
> back saying that 'Mac OS X is not
> Unix'.

Maybe, but that doesn't make it any more true.
OS X has been an official Unix (www.unix-systems.org/w...) according to the Single Unix Spec for approx. 1.5 years!
This has been a major issue last year over on osnews.com and got solved by the open group adding Apple officially to their list!

23 Dec 2002 13:19 Racter

Re: Great .. More Clutter

> Yah Flame me, What ever! Atleast I'm not
> the one using a MAC.

What? You don't have an Ethernet card? That seems
improbable...

As the man said, you are welcome - and in fact
ENCOURAGED - to ignore us.

23 Dec 2002 15:39 phaseshifter

Re: Great .. More Clutter

> hopfully Mac developers don't ever find
> freshmeat and posting of non Linux/BSD
> Application will be kept to a minimum.
> Yah Flame me, What ever! Atleast I'm not
> the one using a MAC.

I suppose Palm is more Unix than OSX?

23 Dec 2002 16:50 dantams

Criteria for OS X submissions
What are the criteria for Mac OS X section submissions? Do the programs have to be Mac OS X-only or can software which also runs on Mac OS X (i.e. Java programs) also be submitted to this section?

23 Dec 2002 17:25 Avatar liedra

Re: Great .. More Clutter

> hopfully Mac developers don't ever find
> freshmeat and posting of non Linux/BSD
> Application will be kept to a minimum.
> Yah Flame me, What ever! Atleast I'm not
> the one using a MAC.

Just make sure the "Mac OS X" box is unchecked in your preferences, and they won't be displayed. Simple.

23 Dec 2002 17:59 sanity

[rant] What about a Windows section?
If OSX, a closed source operating system, rates its own section, what about a section for Open Source software on Windows?

I will never really understand how people, who just a year ago were singing about how wonderful it is to use an Open Source operating system, are so willingly switching back to a closed architecture.

I guess, for those people, the fad was more important than the philosophy.

23 Dec 2002 19:43 browe

Re: [rant] What about a Windows section?

> If OSX, a closed source operating
> system, rates its own section, what
> about a section for Open Source software
> on Windows?
> I will never really understand how
> people, who just a year ago were singing
> about how wonderful it is to use an Open
> Source operating system, are so
> willingly switching back to a closed
> architecture.
> I guess, for those people, the fad was
> more important than the philosophy.

This could not be more wrong.
Mac OS X is UNIX - I don't know how the uninformed continue to say its not without feeling dumb. FreeBSD is open which is the core of OS X. I run many tools recompiled with no problem. Yes there is a closed window manager, but Window Maker if you don't like it. I am running Linux and OS X. They work great together.

23 Dec 2002 19:52 jmluster

Re: [rant] What about a Windows section?

> If OSX, a closed source operating
> system, rates its own section, what
> about a section for Open Source software
> on Windows?

OSX is Darwin based, which is as Open as it can get. Aqua, the widget set and Window Manager is not as open as most people would like it to be, but since OS X applications can be built without Aqua, or using a free widget set, QT or GTK for example, I don't see how your criticism would have any foundation.

> I guess, for those people, the fad was
> more important than the philosophy.

You're a Windows or Red Hat user, aintcha?

23 Dec 2002 20:38 gearhead

Mac OS Filter?
Now I see a Mac OS (NOT OSX) app here:
freshmeat.net/releases...

Ummmmm....................................................ok.

I guess those horrible "Switch" adds have claimed another victim

23 Dec 2002 21:05 waldoj

That's great news. I've been checking fm daily for years to stay current with Linux software, and also versiontracker.com for Mac software. I like Version Tracker, but I find that it tends to focus on the desktop aspects of the Mac OS, and not on the Unix underpinnings and associated server capabilities. The one-stop shopping combined with the likely focus on the Unix elements of the Mac OS will make fm all that much more useful to me. Thank you, Patrick.

23 Dec 2002 21:22 Avatar liedra

Re: Mac OS Filter?

> Now I see a Mac OS (NOT OSX) app here:
> freshmeat.net/releases...
> Ummmmm....................................................ok.

Err, I'm running that under OS X - how is it not an OS X app? :-)

Catie Flick

23 Dec 2002 21:50 joemirando

Is it is or is it ain't a UNIX? Who cares?
I'm happy to see FreshMeat add OS X to its lineup. Aside
from providing an independent resource for users, it will
provide a means of distribution to developers.

I'm a bit disappointed (but not surprised) by the
politicization of the UNIX status of OS X.

For most people (and even for most FM readers), the open
source status seems to be of political or philosophical
importance more than anything else.

I've always told people to "use whatever works for you"
and don't worry about what everyone else is doing.

Sure, I think Linux is great, but I don't think that it's
really "ready for prime time" yet. The average user doesn't
want to have to deal with all the things that the average
Linux/BSD/Unix/etc user has to / wants to deal with. And
that's... okay. Computers should give us MORE choices,
not less.

We'll have to wait and see what happens with Darwin,
since they threw down the gauntlet the other day, but as
it stands now, OS X works for me on a Mac. Between OS X
and Linux on my TiBook, there's just no contest for most
things. OS X's fonts are sharp and clear, devices and
peripherals simply work the way they should, and I can
compile most of what I want/need to from the *NIX world
quickly and easily.

Of course, I do have Linux installed as well because there
are still some things that I can simply do more easily with
Linux than with OS X. I don't have a problem with having
two OS's working for me. They are tools, not political
parties or the holy grail.

Since FreshMeat is geared toward open source, I'm hoping
that we will see more and more OS X open source apps
appear. There's that "more choices" thing again.

So if OS X doesn't work for you, don't use it. If you like the
political/social statement of using Linux instead and
downing everything else...

Get a bumper sticker or something.

23 Dec 2002 23:33 0x0d0a

Please, please, please
Add a series of flags to each project for "compatibility with this OS", and a corresponding series of options in the prefs. There would be a form like "this project runs on [ ] BSD [ ] Linux [ ] Mac OS X, etc" for each project, and a form for each user "I'm interested in news relating to [ ] BSD [ ] Linux [ ] Mac OS X, etc".

I *really* don't want to have to read through every Mac OS application update -- and there are a lot of them, as evidenced by the existing versiontracker.net.

Oh, and making a different category for each OS will not work, because some projects exist for multiple platforms.

Oh, and one last thing. If you decide to add any neat options like this, another thing on my wishlist would be the ability to "ignore any items listed under this category". Right now, if I ignore things in Web/Development, but they're also listed under Text/ (bogus categories, I know), I still see them. I'd like to be able to say "I never want to see anything that's listed in Web/Development at *all*".

Thanks.

24 Dec 2002 01:17 scoop

Re: Please, please, please

> I *really* don't want to have to read
> through every Mac OS application update
> -- and there are a lot of them, as
> evidenced by the existing
> versiontracker.net.

As mentioned by others in this comment board and as mentioned by me in the article, make sure you leave the Mac OS X section in your user preferences (/my/) unchecked (which I'm sure you will) and you'll never see a Mac OS X app.

24 Dec 2002 04:28 Avatar liedra

Re: Criteria for OS X submissions

> What are the criteria for Mac OS X
> section submissions? Do the programs
> have to be Mac OS X-only or can software
> which also runs on Mac OS X (i.e. Java
> programs) also be submitted to this
> section?

This really depends on the author of the software. If the author sees his/her audience as being mostly Mac OS X users, or would prefer to only have their program in the OS X section, then they can submit it to the OS X section, if it is a cross platform project. If it's cross platform and something that's aimed at everyone, it's probably better for the author to submit it to the main section.
But you can definitely post Java and command-line projects here, as well as the more obviously Mac-focussed Cocoa and Carbon projects.

Hope that helps,

Catie Flick
P.S. Shouts to scoop! whom I borrowed (and modified slightly!) this answer from. But the speling erors are his, I swear.

24 Dec 2002 10:36 wheezl

Complainers
Could these possibly be the same people that complained when the BSD section was added to Slashdot? ;)

Somehow they remind me of the kid in "Hype" with the earplugs in his nostrils.

24 Dec 2002 14:31 dantams

Re: Criteria for OS X submissions

> This really depends on the author of the
> software. If the author sees his/her
> audience as being mostly Mac OS X users,
> or would prefer to only have their
> program in the OS X section, then they
> can submit it to the OS X section, if it
> is a cross platform project. If it's
> cross platform and something that's
> aimed at everyone, it's probably better
> for the author to submit it to the main
> section.
> But you can definitely post Java and
> command-line projects here, as well as
> the more obviously Mac-focussed Cocoa
> and Carbon projects.

I get it. So basically one submits a given project either to the main section or to the Mac OS X section, but not to both. Right?

25 Dec 2002 17:46 antrik

Re: [rant] What about a Windows section?
That's just what I thought when seeing this announcement.

<rant>

First, I would like to state that I consider the discussions whether it's Unix or not rather pointless. (Though claiming it's more Unix than GNU/Linux is plain silly.)

Also, claiming that MacOS X is free (or open source) just because it (mis-)uses a bunch of free components is just as silly -- such a claim can only come from weenes that can't cope with the conscience that their beloved OS is just the same proprietary crap that Windows is, only somewhat more blue, and having a better image. (Though personally I like the XP desktop better, if it comes to it...)

But that's not my point, either -- with PalmOS, Freahmeat already features a proprietary OS anyways, and Freshmeat never claimed to be a free software site. (Leaving aside the fact that about 90 % of the software listed here is free (not free beer), and it never really has been a contact point for anything else...)

</rant>

So proprietary or free, Unix or not -- my point is: When adding more and more other operating system sections to Freshmeat (first PalmOS, now MacOS), how can the claim be uphold that Windows projects aren't accpeted because Freshmeat is a Linux-only site? Adding a Windows section is the consequential next step.

27 Dec 2002 19:34 Yaa101

Good way to go...
Some evangelists always seem to have trouble with other platforms entering their beloved turf.
I work on the 3 major platforms and all have their things and quirks.

Open Source Development Network

Stands for Open Source and that is it's core business, Open Source on windows is open source too, as it is on OS X and down, even on the Commodore 64 it is open source.
Open source does not stand for the OS status but says all about the intentions of the programmer(s).

So yes i would applaud a section on windows open source as also it's the only way to keep paladium and all it's crap out of our hair.

Evangelists, even ones that preach for 1 certain Operating System, are only try to seek a audience with their shortsighted lies about how good this or that is, while the pro's use all systems they can lay their hands on, (yummy!), don't ever forget that.
I wouldn't make money from this trade if I was as short sighted as some people preaching on our channels.

01 Jan 2003 13:10 mhearn

Re: Mac OS Filter?

> Err, I'm running that under OS X - how
> is it not an OS X app? :-)
> Catie Flick

By that logic, you should post Windows apps, as they can be run under Wine. How is Internet Explorer not a Linux app if I can run it under Linux? Well, obviously it isn't, as it runs against proprietary APIs.... oh, wait - so do MacOS(X) apps!

I mean, really. How does the freshmeat team defend their decision not to allow Windows apps now? No, UNIX doesn't have anything to do with it, Windows with Cygwin is a commercial OS with the unix (gnu) tools, and I believe that for a time, maybe this is still the case, Windows was more POSIX compliant than MacOS. Mac apps use the Mac APIs, why should Windows apps that use the Win32 APIs be any different? What about .NET apps? Java apps?

Not that I'd actually want any of these to be added to Freshmeat, I find the site useful because I'm a Linux user. There are other sites like it for other platforms, so just because Macs are fashionable at the moment doesn't seem like a terribly good justification for adding their apps now.

And more to the point, why exactly do Mac users need this anyway? They already use VersionTracker. Or is Freshmeat now an "everything BUT Windows" site, a position that can only be borne of advocacy rather than any real needs of the visitors?

I think it's ironic that on the front page currently there is a text ad for FSF Associate Membership, despite the fact that the same front page is full of MacOS only apps - a platform that is going against everything that Stallman and the FSF stand for. No, it's not an open source OS, people who claim that can be hammered into the floor by anybody who knows the slightest about the internals. Oh well, if the Freshmeat team can live with that contradiction, it's their site.

01 Jan 2003 13:18 mhearn

Re: [rant] What about a Windows section?

> This could not be more wrong.
> Mac OS X is UNIX - I don't know how the
> uninformed continue to say its not
> without feeling dumb.

On the contrary, you're the one looking dumb, Ian wasn't talking about UNIX in his post at all. UNIX != open source, or free (which is even more important). Look how many closed source UNIXes there are, Solaris, AIX, Irix, and now Mac OS as well.

Nobody can credibly claim that the Mac is a suitably free platform, and yes, the freedom is the most important thing today for a new platform. There are have been plenty of closed source operating systems since then - they're all irrelevant. They don't move things forward.

Next time you shoot your mouth off about unix, remember this - the person you're addressing probably doesn't care. Unix isn't all that great, it's been bettered many times since then. What they're probably interested in is society being in control of its own technology. MacOS is just wants to be the next Windows, Jobs the next Gates. I don't care for such a future - do you?

07 Jan 2003 11:43 McLaurin

There's a difference between Unix and Free Software
I really don't care if Mac OS X is a Unix or not, or even if Linux is or isn't. The stuff that distinguishes the new Mac software is proprietary software, and as an old Mac faithful it disappoints me. What distinguishes GNU/Linux distros is the high proportion of GPL code. By all means, let's have a Freshmeat section on Windows alternatives to Microsoft Office, Outlook Express, and all the big Redmond moneymakers. How's OpenOffice.org doing, these days? And should we have a newbies chat room on Cygwin?

18 Feb 2003 16:25 grammyputer

A Polite Request
I work on Solaris and Macs, so am much interested
but when I search, I usually am interested POSIX, X-windows, etc. If there could be an "ignore" value to search, so I could skip Intel only apps, and look only at the ones that would run in my environment.

29 Mar 2003 15:13 mhearn

Re: Please, please, please
Except that isn't true is it? I just tried it, it doesn't work. I still see MacOS X software. Just lose it instead of trying to take down Version Tracker.

> As mentioned by others in this comment
> board and as mentioned by me in the
> article, make sure you leave the Mac OS
> X section in your user preferences
> unchecked (which I'm sure you will) and
> you'll never see a Mac OS X app.

08 Nov 2003 09:09 amosj

Re: Great!
I think this was a wise thing to do, totally
consistent with the charter of FM and in keeping
with open source standards. The widgets aren't the
point. The natterers aren't the point. Good call.

A

20 Dec 2005 11:49 ArtisticTwist

HAPPY WITH DISAPPOINTMENT
Gotta admit there are quite a few good posts here. Kudos out

to freshmeat and posters like Bas Burger, Wheezl, and

0x0d0a. But other posters who I will not name to avoid both a

flame war and the undeserved popularity it would lend these

people. Needless to say freshmeat isn't solely about Linux,

BSD, Unix, GNU, or even the communities they comprise.

Rather it's about open source, which like other grand

movements such as democracy in general is made up of a

much grander group of people. Complaining about MacOS X

being added to freshmeat is no different then complaining

about Russia becoming a democratic union. Besides Linux as

BSD were only the beginning of a generation which now is

continuing to create new software, even new operating

systems for all people.

Most notably one ReactOS is starting to pick-up momentum

and could soon be the open source answer to Windows. While

I am not saying this would kill M$ it could certainly be the end

of an era of techno-tyranny and the liberation of the Windows

desktop user. Allowing them to enjoy the same freedom of

software selection that is now enjoyed by the Un*x-type OS

users.

Furthermore, similar work is moving foreward on other user

audiences (Amiga, BeOS, Early 8-Bit machines, DOS, CP/M,

VMS, Etc.) which will someday flatten the software field.

Allowing users the ability to configure their environment to

their liking simply by selecting the software modules they feel

most comfortable with. Standardization of module delivery

systems such as Debian's APT have also helped push this to

the forefront. Combined with the modularity of hardware,

which is much a reality today (PCI, ZIF, AGP, USB,HID, Etc.),

the market of computing in the coming years may be more like

that of the 70's when we hobbyist customized their gear then

the Windows-centric era of 87 - present.

So quit whining and accept. MacOS X has joined the march to

software democracy. Whether it is Unix, Linux, or some

half-baked open-closed source monster is not as important as

the fact a portion of its users have decided to go with

democratic development.

YourKit Java Profiler

A CPU and memory Java profiler.

Moqui Framework

An all-in-one, enterprise-ready application framework based on Groovy and Java.