Articles / freshmeat for the world

freshmeat for the world

These are divisive times, and the once-lauded principle of respect between peoples seems to break down more every day with us-against-them boundaries on political, religious, and geographic lines. The connective powers of the Internet offer one means of countering this trend, and at freshmeat, we'd like to do our small part for celebrating diversity.

Every now and again, we have major changes to announce at freshmeat. scoop dumps the suggestion box on his desk, emerges from a flurry of coding with a stack of new features, and waits for the complaints to roll in. At other times, there's just a small tweak here or there that we don't bother to announce and which only the most observant see right away.

One of these of which we're most proud is a new set of Trove categories named Translations, and we'd like to take this opportunity to bring them to everyone's attention.

The Internet has brought the world together in unprecedented ways, and we all speak daily with people of many nations. When I first started using email, every message I received was in English, but now I regularly have the opportunity to broaden my horizons by contemplating messages like "mi mir paii mirr", "amrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr", "hai noteeeeeeee", and "????????????".

We've long regretted that we must limit ourselves to the use of English at freshmeat. Some of you have even received this message from us, one of the many boilerplates we use for responding to common problems:

- freshmeat is an English-language Web site. Please reply to this
  message with an English version of the text you submitted.

We've always felt sad and regretted having to do this. Unfortunately, we just can't afford to hire enough staff to handle every language in the world.

We've decided that what we can do is the next best thing. In addition to the new language categories, for the coming year, we'll be partnering with Babelfish, whom you'll know from their famous slogan, "In its property night stories give/gives it two kind hanging belly pigs to Pickeldi and Frederic." Using their automatic translation service, we'll be able to celebrate 52 wonderful languages and the people who speak them at us.

Today, we're having a test run with pages translated into the ancient and noble language of the Rotlanders. Then, starting next Thursday, the entire site will be translated into Afrikaans. This will be followed by a week each of Latvian, Swedish, Croatian, and Latin. At the end of the year, you'll be able to vote on whether we should return to English or your favorite of the 52.

We'll announce the upcoming languages a month in advance so you'll have time to study and prepare. We realize that we've given you no time to prepare for this week's selection, but if you're fluent in Rot or would like to brush up your skills, we encourage you to cbfg nccebcevngryl in your comments under this article. You can also visit our IRC channel, where we hope to see some native speakers join from .rot domains to lead us in conversational Rot classes.

Rawbl!

RSS Recent comments

01 Apr 2004 00:19 Tschlottke

narf
that is not funny, we however gladly about would help to

translate this web page if necessary steps it please with us in

contact

01 Apr 2004 00:24 Vaxxipooh

Whats This??
whats that language?

01 Apr 2004 00:27 jkister

it got me
because I was browsing when the descriptions all changed, but there was no post on the front page yet.

is the fm2 system un-usable until tomorrow??

01 Apr 2004 00:28 binesh

All in favor of banishing April Fool's day forever.
This is perfect. HA HA very funny. Let's celebrate April Fool's day by making freshmeat.net utterly useless for 24 hours. Yes, I know it's rot-13'd. very clever.

Blech.

01 Apr 2004 00:30 scoop

Re: it got me

> is the fm2 system un-usable until

> tomorrow??

No, of course not. We'll obviously not enforce this for 24

hours.

01 Apr 2004 00:31 CharlesDarwin

Re: narf
V gubhtug vg jnf shaal!

-PuneyrfQnejva

01 Apr 2004 00:39 arnar

Re: All in favor of banishing April Fool's day forever.

> This is perfect. HA HA very funny. Let's

> celebrate April Fool's day by making

> freshmeat.net utterly useless for 24

> hours. Yes, I know it's rot-13'd. very

> clever.

> Blech.

What do you mean unusable?? Can't everybody read rot13? :)

Arnar

01 Apr 2004 00:42 lucipher

funny
Shaal ab bar abgvprq vg'f ncevy 1fg lrg? :>

01 Apr 2004 00:47 binesh

Re: All in favor of banishing April Fool's day forever.

> What do you mean unusable?? Can't

> everybody read rot13? :)

I dunno. Let's see. Vqvbg.

> Arnar

01 Apr 2004 00:48 jkister

Re: it got me

> is the fm2 system un-usable until

> tomorrow??

To all those who'd like to copy and paste during this April Fools hysteria:

www.jeremykister.com/c...

01 Apr 2004 00:50 jkister

translation
for all those interested in cutting and pasting:

www.jeremykister.com/c...

not as good as babelfish, but it'll do.. :)

01 Apr 2004 02:07 bjmg

WAS SOLL DIESER MÜLL?! WHAT ABOUT THIS TRASH?!
This text is written in german language because I like to do another april fool! Happy decrypting!

Was soll bitteschön dieser Unfug am 1. April hier alles unbenutzbar zu machen?! Auch wenn ich rot13 ohne Probleme entschlüsseln könnte. Es ist ein unnötiger Mehraufwand - sowohl diesen Quatsch zu programmieren, als auch ihn zu entschlüsseln. Habt ihr euch eigentlich mal gedacht, wieviel Zeit - und damit Geld - am 1. April (und einige Tage davor) verbraten wird, um sich "gute" Scherze auszudenken? Nutzt eure Zeit vernünftiger und macht nicht solch einen *Unfug*!

Fröhliche Zeitverschwendung!

Bernhard Grün

01 Apr 2004 02:40 MaddocBuddha

ayw ewlk
I had to check to make sure I was not on the planet Vulcan or Klingon!

Happy April Fools Day.

I was wondering what new and exciting trick would be played here on FM today.

01 Apr 2004 02:47 digitalsurgeon

something is working
lol, well atleast the search engine is working ok. that's what i need to use today ;-)

01 Apr 2004 02:48 jackangel

Rotlander's language is rot13 (caesar's cypher)
For those of you who don't get it (I've spotted it even before opening this article), this 'language' is just a simple rot13 cypher.

From Jargon File (4.3.3, 20 SEP 2002) [jargon]:

rot13 /rot ther'teen/ n.,v. [Usenet: from `rotate alphabet 13 places']
The simple Caesar-cypher encryption that replaces each English letter
with the one 13 places forward or back along the alphabet, so that "The
butler did it!" becomes "Gur ohgyre qvq vg!" Most Usenet news reading
and posting programs include a rot13 feature. It is used to enclose the
text in a sealed wrapper that the reader must choose to open -- e.g.,
for posting things that might offend some readers, or {spoiler}s. A
major advantage of rot13 over rot(N) for other N is that it is
self-inverse, so the same code can be used for encoding and decoding.
See also {spoiler space}, which has partly displaced rot13 since
non-Unix-based newsreaders became common.

If you're on Unix, and have bsd-games installed, you can use the rot13 program to decode. Too bad browsers don't have 'rot13' in the encoding/charset list. Previous year's Fool Day's joke was much funnier, though, because this site is utterly unusable now - the task of cutting'n'pasting every description into xterm running rot13 is too tedious for me.

01 Apr 2004 02:49 scoop

Re: WAS SOLL DIESER MÜLL?! WHAT ABOUT THIS TRASH?!
Which is please-beautifully to make this mischief on 1 April
here everything unbenutzbar?! Even if I could decode rot13
without problems. It is an unnecessary additional expenditure
- both this Quatsch to program to decode and it. You you
actually times thought, how much time - and thus money -
will verb-guess/advise on 1 April (and some days before it), in
order to invent "good" jokes? Your time uses more reasonably
and does not make for such one * mischief *!

Merry waste of time!

01 Apr 2004 02:53 scoop

Re: Rotlander's language is rot13 (caesar's cypher)

> Previous year's Fool Day's joke was much
> funnier, though, because this site is
> utterly unusable now - the task of
> cutting'n'pasting every description into
> xterm running rot13 is too tedious for
> me.

Hey, it's not that bad! It's just the frontpage.
The project
pages, search results, browsing and lounge pages for logged
in users haven't been touched.

01 Apr 2004 03:34 dkuebler

Funny ...
Ok, i have to admit i was laughing ... For two seconds. Now can somebody disable the (no longer funny) rot-encoder ?

01 Apr 2004 03:39 Scorpitron

Que?
God, I was laughing and crying at the same time when I

realized what I was reading. Good one, gents ;-)

01 Apr 2004 03:44 arnar

Something to help you through the day
If you are like me and can't go a day without watching FM from time to time and you are using Mozilla/Firefox or similar, try this:

Create a bookmark in your Bookmarks Toolbar with this location (remove any line breaks):

javascript: var t = window.getSelection().toString(); window.getSelection().getRangeAt(0).deleteContents(); for (var s = '',i=0;i<t.length;i++) { c = t.charCodeAt(i); if ((c >= 97 && c <= 109) || (c >= 65 && c <= 77)) s += String.fromCharCode(c+13); else if ((c >= 110 && c <= 122) || (c >= 78 && c <= 90)) s += String.fromCharCode(c-13); else s += String.fromCharCode(c); } window.getSelection().getRangeAt(0).insertNode(document.createTextNode(s));

Then select any text on a web page and click the button and the text is rot13'd. Enjoy.

FM doesn't allow me to put javascript hrefs in <a> tags in HTML mode, but at the following url, you cant simply drag the link to your bookmarks toolbar:

www.hi.is/~arnarbi/rot...

-- Arnar

01 Apr 2004 06:11 cowboyfromhell

Re: Something to help you through the day
now that's a pretty cool tool...

> If you are like me and can't go a day

> without watching FM from time to time

> and you are using Mozilla/Firefox or

> similar, try this:

> String.fromCharCode(c+13); else if ((c

> >= 110 && c <= 122) || (c

> >= 78 && c <= 90)) s +=

> String.fromCharCode(c-13); else s +=

> String.fromCharCode(c); }

> window.getSelection().getRangeAt(0).insertNode(document.createTextNode(s));

> Then select any text on a web page and

> click the button and the text is

> rot13'd. Enjoy.

> FM doesn't allow me to put javascript

> hrefs in <a> tags in HTML mode,

> but at the following url, you cant

> simply drag the link to your bookmarks

> toolbar:

> www.hi.is/~arnarbi/rot...

> -- Arnar

01 Apr 2004 06:13 gvy

Re: Rotlander's language is rot13 (caesar's cypher)

> Hey, it's not that bad!

...but SCO *will* sue you for using their patented encryption technique on high-profile site. :)

01 Apr 2004 06:43 j3110

Re: translation

> for all those interested in cutting and

> pasting:

> www.jeremykister.com/c...

> not as good as babelfish, but it'll do..

> :)

Ha! Real geeks grew up on USENET, and are proffecient at reading ROT13 already. No simple single letter substitution is going to fool me!

01 Apr 2004 07:11 binesh

Re: Rotlander's language is rot13 (caesar's cypher)

> Hey, it's not that bad! It's just the
> frontpage.
> The project
> pages, search results, browsing and
> lounge pages for logged
> in users haven't been touched.

No, it's not that bad now... For hours, everything on the site was rot-13'd...

I want OS writers to have April Fool's day jokes builtin as well... A day full of Block read failure on /dev/hda7 to find out the NEXT day after you've purchased a new hard drive that oh, it was an april fool's joke...

Or, compiler writers...

error: parse error before `}' token

Which you find the next day that oh, haha! April fool's...

That would be awesome.

01 Apr 2004 07:17 burqueNM

Re: Rotlander's language is rot13 (caesar's cypher)
Okay, maybe time for rot26 instead?

01 Apr 2004 07:33 wondermike

announcements non-rot13
Hey,

you didn't do this 100%, you should have converted your release announcements to rot-13, too!

;-)

Cheers

Michael

01 Apr 2004 08:29 jazernorth

Perfect.
At first, I was starting to fall, then when I got to the voting, I realized that it was a joke.

Very good.

JN

01 Apr 2004 08:33 jazernorth

Re: Perfect.

> At first, I was starting to fall, then

> when I got to the voting, I realized

> that it was a joke.

> Very good.

> JN

Ng svefg, V jnf fgnegvat gb snyy, gura jura V tbg gb gur ibgvat, V ernyvmrq gung vg jnf n wbxr. Irel tbbq.

01 Apr 2004 08:53 wcooley

Re: Something to help you through the day
I have to say, this is crazy cool.

01 Apr 2004 09:26 spacemanmatt

Haha (not)
rot13 was funny when I was young & dumb. All I want is freshmeat without usability impediments.

01 Apr 2004 09:33 MatrixCoder

Stay rot - stay root
The best feature I've ever seen. Für the capitalists among us, if this is an expensive april fool, this is not the right page for you ;)

01 Apr 2004 09:44 coolhand

cut -n- paste
You don't need to do any cut and pasting, just click on the project name, and look at the project page, it's not obfuscated there.

01 Apr 2004 10:06 orthoorange42

Re: Something to help you through the day
for vim users (after copy/paste into vim):
ggvGg?

01 Apr 2004 10:17 spacemanmatt

Re: cut -n- paste

> You don't need to do any cut and

> pasting, just click on the project name,

> and look at the project page, it's not

> obfuscated there.

Thus the convenience of a filtered summary page is destroyed.

01 Apr 2004 10:20 jkister

Re: cut -n- paste

> You don't need to do any cut and

> pasting, just click on the project name,

> and look at the project page, it's not

> obfuscated there.

At the time (midnight last night) everything was obfuscated. that's why i whipped up my tool ;)

01 Apr 2004 10:23 thomp

Disappointed...
I'm just disappointed things seem to have reverted to English... I guess that's the price I pay for being on the west coast...

01 Apr 2004 10:29 scottplante

Mozilla rules
If you're using Mozilla, just select the text and choose decode->rot-13 from the context menu.

01 Apr 2004 11:01 wakebdr

Really stupid!
I finally registered on freshmeat just so I could say that I think this April Fool's joke is really stupid.

01 Apr 2004 11:13 burqueNM

Bitte, ist schon genug.
Wann kommen wir aus Rotland ins Lande der Vernunft zurück? Was werden die Leute denken, die heute voll Vertrauen etwas Wichtiges melden wollten?

01 Apr 2004 11:33 phirate

Double plus freakin good
HEY! Screw all you guys who knocked this. Get a sense of perspective here. You can't live without your life being jello-easy for 1 day? the whole point is to be able to step back from the grind and realise it just aint that important.

Kudos to the freshmeat guys for having the guts to do it and stick with it. All class.

01 Apr 2004 12:24 u235sentinel

Re: Really stupid!
You're joking ;-)

> I finally registered on freshmeat just

> so I could say that I think this April

> Fool's joke is really stupid.

01 Apr 2004 12:33 u235sentinel

Re: All in favor of banishing April Fool's day forever.
I can read it just fine.

www.degraeve.com/trans...

Oops.. Hit cut/paste. Oh well.. Enjoy the translation :-)

> % This is perfect. HA HA very funny.

> Let's

> % celebrate April Fool's day by making

> % freshmeat.net utterly useless for 24

> % hours. Yes, I know it's rot-13'd.

> very

> % clever.

> %

> % Blech.

> What do you mean unusable?? Can't

> everybody read rot13? :)

> Arnar

01 Apr 2004 14:27 cyranix

You make me feel old.
Rot-13 used to be all the hype back in the day on IRC, just like 1337 speak and the ever present geeks who thought it was funny to UUENCODE everything they typed. I'd pretty much forgotten about it until today. Ha ha, happy april fools day everyone!

p.s. if you still don't know, www.rot13.com/info.php

02 Apr 2004 00:03 paai

Second rate cultures...
<b> to break down more every day with us-against-them boundaries ...</b>

There is a typo here. Should be US-against-them, so that

everybody realizes that there is one single 'Ueber' culture and one single 'Ueber'language, and all other languages, cultures and states are judged by their adherence to the

US standard, and at best second rate.

02 Apr 2004 02:19 prfaasse

fools-day jokes... :-(
And my greatest regret is that i mostly see the comments long before the actual joke :-( I 'missed' both last year's joke and this one completely. In Europe, you'd have to scan freshmeat very late in the day to even see the US-midnight-starting (?) change at all, and the next day the comments are all over the place.... Would it be possible to 'synchronise' the freshmeat's joke responses with the local-time of the one requesting the page?

13 May 2004 23:37 Wallace86

Re: Really stupid!

> I finally registered on freshmeat just
> so I could say that I think this April
> Fool's joke is really stupid.

This is not funny at all.:(

21 May 2004 21:10 BuyGifts

Re: Something to help you through the day

> I have to say, this is crazy cool.

I was just trying to find the words in which I would express my self lol, and this is exactly what i was gonna say, this is a CRAZY cool tool ;)

07 Jun 2004 13:43 AndrewCates

perhaps,
perhaps, amusing though this certainly was, we should now delete it otherwise it will still be showing April 1 next year?

Or maybe these things can be obvious...

BozMo (catesfamily.org.uk/)

21 Jun 2004 07:15 Jerry88

Re: Funny ...

> Ok, i have to admit i was laughing ...
> For two seconds. Now can somebody
> disable the (no longer funny)
> rot-encoder ?

lol, yes, i sencond that...

15 Apr 2006 08:10 weltblick

Happy first april :)
Happy first april :)

Greetz

welt-blick

18 Apr 2006 08:19 weltblick

Re: WAS SOLL DIESER MÜLL?! WHAT ABOUT THIS TRASH?!
Ach was solls, (www.welt-blick.de) einmal im Jahr kann man das ruhig machen :)

27 Apr 2006 14:59 weltblick

Re: translation
not bad.. (www.welt-blick.de).

27 Apr 2006 15:40 CrazyGFreak

Re: WAS SOLL DIESER MÜLL?! WHAT ABOUT THIS TRASH?!

> Which is please-beautifully to make this
> mischief on 1 April
> here everything unbenutzbar?! Even if I
> could decode rot13
> without problems. It is an unnecessary
> additional expenditure
> - both this Quatsch to program to decode
> and it. You you
> actually times thought, how much time -
> and thus money -
> will verb-guess/advise on 1 April (and
> some days before it), in
> order to invent "good" jokes? Your time
> uses more reasonably
> and does not make for such one *
> mischief *!
> Merry waste of time!

Ha ha sehr lustig. Ich finde 1. April mega scheiße, (www-einkaufen.de) aber ich lach hier einfach mal mit. Finde es total lustich ha ha. 1. April ist auch schon lange vorbei.

27 Apr 2006 15:42 CrazyGFreak

Re: WAS SOLL DIESER MÜLL?! WHAT ABOUT THIS TRASH?!

> Ach was solls, einmal im Jahr kann man
> das ruhig machen :)

Hehe du bist echt super lustig. Danke :). Aber bitte nur einmal im Jahr, (www.erscheinungstermin...) ok! :)

13 Jun 2006 02:19 cablemodem

:-))
Not bad, not bad at all :-))

25 Jul 2006 04:15 Tottigol

Re: Que?

> God, I was laughing and crying at the
> same time when I
> realized what I was reading. Good one,
> gents ;-)

Hehehheeee, yeah, quite cool. (www.seo-fehler.de)
Greetz,
Tottigol

07 Jan 2007 09:06 AndreasM

Re: WAS SOLL DIESER MÜLL?! WHAT ABOUT THIS TRASH?!
one time in a year it is no problem to produce jokes like this. And it is not a vaste of time, because first of April will apear every year again and again.. So wait till next time. Greatings from Germany (www.dress4moments.de/)

02 Feb 2007 00:35 Meble

Thanks for this :)
Enjoyed browsing through the site. Keep up the good work.

Greetings from Poland

02 Feb 2007 00:37 Meble

Re: translation

> for all those interested in cutting and
> pasting:
> www.jeremykister.com/c...
> not as good as babelfish, but it'll do..
> :)

Thanks Jeremy. Sweet :)

24 Aug 2007 02:15 Afrika

Re: WAS SOLL DIESER MÜLL?! WHAT ABOUT THIS TRASH?!
I think you HAVE to do things like this once a year;-)

Sensor Readout

Sensor readout for Android devices.

Open Tax Solver

Tax preparation software for use in the USA.