Articles / European Protests Against S...

European Protests Against Software Patents

On Wednesday, August 27th, there will be a last-minute demonstration at the European Parliament in Brussels against the proposed directive on software patents, organized by the FFII. As an additional (or alternative) action, people and organizations are encouraged to participate in an online demonstration that day, replacing the main pages of their Web sites with text explaining the dangers of introducing unlimited patentability in Europe.

The proposed directive would make it impossible to refuse patents on algorithms and business methods such as a recently-uncovered EPO patent granted to Amazon on ordering a gift for and automatically delivering it to a third party, which is even broader than its infamous 1-Click patent (which will also be patentable).

Please read the following pages for more information, and consider participating in the protest:

RSS Recent comments

25 Aug 2003 02:43 Avatar ulriceriksson

Software Patents Suck More!
There, done: siag.nu/ (siag.nu/) has joined the online demonstration.

25 Aug 2003 06:08 azotex

join now!
slinux.net (slinux.net) has joined the online demonstration

25 Aug 2003 06:11 FilippoRusconi

joining de demonstration
www.polyxmass.org has joined the demonstration

Cheers,

Filippo Rusconi

25 Aug 2003 10:21 nicolasroard

Text
I closed my site and put an explication text about software patents you could find useful -- feel free to use it of course.

www.roard.com/docs/

(I typed it quickly, so tell me if I did errors ;-)

25 Aug 2003 10:33 reduz

Pointless...
If you really want to demonstrate that you oppose to such
things, simply gather people to assist personally to the
proper place and protest with signs and banners at some
important place. It's not the concept of masses opossing
what helps here, but the concept of masses geting together.
I am completely sure that any well enough informed
profesional will oppose this, but if you dont fight it for real, it
wont work. So keep sitting in your comfortable chair, seeing
how your freedoms keep vanishing one by one in the hands
of lobbyst corporations.

25 Aug 2003 13:10 nakee

pointless
pointless indeed,
do you think anyone care about you guys?
the people who have money are the one who decide
you can protest or whatever no one would even notice.

25 Aug 2003 13:26 niggerbottom

the europeans are revolting!
uphauling! disgusting!

sorry for the pun... couldn't help myself.

25 Aug 2003 14:47 m16e

Re: pointless

> pointless indeed,
> do you think anyone care about you
> guys?
> the people who have money are the one
> who decide
> you can protest or whatever no one would
> even notice.

WE CARE ABOUT US!
We'll be there!

www.m16e.com

25 Aug 2003 16:05 pomac

Somewhat joined =)
pomac.netswarm.net joined aswell, not that i have a lot of visitors, or run a high traffic site. I want to keep the momentum going though.

(not really closed, but large notice on all pages)

//pomac

28 Aug 2003 01:05 stefano_fornari

Sync4j joins the protest
Sync4j (www.sync4j.org) joins the protest.

30 Aug 2003 08:28 wvhemel

Re: pointless

> pointless indeed,
> do you think anyone care about you
> guys?
> the people who have money are the one
> who decide
> you can protest or whatever no one would
> even notice.

Yes, doing nothing is better. Sure. Let's not even open our mouths. You know what? Let's bend over too.

Even when I don't win the first battle, at least I won't have co-operated with a system/philosophy I think is flawed, and I would have lived up to what I believe in.

There are (and will always be) way more 'poor' people than rich ones, and it's only your apathy that gives this world to a select few.

11 Sep 2003 15:52 kedzier

Re: pointless

> pointless indeed,
> do you think anyone care about you
> guys?
> the people who have money are the one
> who decide
> you can protest or whatever no one would
> even notice.

I completley agree with you, only people who have money are the one who decide.
Any protest will be simply throw to the trash, no one listing to us.
No one will write a program legaly if that law come into life. There will be an underground of software programers who will write programs with ex. pop-up menu, beacuse someone will patent that idea.
Horror
(sorry, my English is'n good enought)

28 Jun 2004 03:53 AndrewCates

Update
What happened with this license issue? I haven't been able to get an update since? The EU has a nasty habit of going from "don't worry its all provisional" to "its all been discussed and agreed" without us getting a chance to comment in the middle

BozMo (catesfamily.org.uk/)

27 Apr 2006 08:27 jenkinspa

EU Software Patents
We are a website design company in the UK and all my employees are with it, im not im against it I think some stuff just gets out of hand like look at the blueberry case or that new one with MS & Autodesk ended up paying out think it was 15m for MS and 3m for autodesk as they have used an online registration application. What ever happened to the SCO / Linux dispute?...

All gets a bit too silly

PrestaShop Custom Fields

A PrestaShop module that adds extra fields to the checkout page.

Hotel Booking

Easy booking of stays by time and date with different languages and currencies.